Yeasty blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
A few months back, I brewed a standard blond ale. Brewing went well and fermentation seemed good...let it sit in primary for 2 weeks and bottled. Even after 2 months in the bottle, that batch still tasted yeasty.

I took another stab at a blond ale 2 weeks ago (this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/fizzy-yellow-beer-120939/). Although the recipe calls for a 62 degree primary, its been at 67 to 68. Its at the fg right now, but it tastes very yeasty...similar to that other batch. What should I do at this point? I've thought about racking into a secondary and letting it sit in a swamp cooler for a week or 2 to hopefully clear out some of the yeast flavor. Or should I let it sit in primary at the same temps for another week or 2? Thanks! :drunk:

This might work... it did for my yeasty blonde:

30monistat.jpg

Newton, 2 weeks is not nearly long enough to pass judgement on the bier. Let it go for 3 weeks in the primary so the yeast have lots of time to clean up after themselves, might help if we knew what type of yeast you used. Then taste, if still 'yeasty' transfer to secondary and throw in the fridge for 3-5 days, taste again. If still too yeasty dry hop with 3 oz. of your fav. hop & perhaps add some lemon/orange zest. If still not happy, send entire batch to me for full examination! :)

As for the monistat... well nevermind!

Schlante,
Phillip

Try using gelatin to clear the beer, there are threads on that here, and bottle as normal. Then when you put your bottles in the fridge, let them sit for a long time, at least a couple days before consuming. This should clear out your yeasty taste if you happen to have very non-flatulent yeast.

Back