Yeasty beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianofadams

Reaction score
So I just got done with a Scottish ale I was brewing. The problem is that it is like drinking pure yeast. OG was 1.060 and ended at about 1.020. When I pitched the yeast it took around 5 days for fermentation to begin, i let it go to about 5 weeks in primary. Now that it's all kegged and ready to drink, it tastes so badly of yeast that I'm considering calling it a loss and dumping the batch. I'm still in my first handful of brews and haven't had this happen! Anyone got any ideas what it could have been?

If it was 5 weeks in primary there shouldn't be a lot of yeast in there to taste yeasty, just whatever got racked over. How long has it been in the keg? Do you just have a lot of yeast in suspension?

So it's been in the keg around 3 days. I shook it up a bit the first couple days, so I'm thinking it could be between that and sucking some up when racking. Also, I have yet to invest in a fridge for my keg system, the Washington winter here has been cold enough so far, but it's in the 50s now, so I'm sure warm beer doesn't help drop any yeast out of suspension. :/

Back