Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elderbrew1

Reaction score
I'm trying to make about 10 litres of wine. The yeast I have says for 25litres do i still use all of it or approx half?

Thanks wasn't sure. That's what I put in. Thought I'd double check to see if it was the right thing to do!

Hi Elderbrew1, How are you intending to store the opened package of yeast (I assume that the yeast is dry as most wine yeast is sold dry)? Most packs are good for between 1 gallon (about 4 L ) and 6 gallons (about 25 L). So you can happily use the entire package (wine yeast is not usually expensive) without any concern that the remainder will be contaminated with bacteria and mold that will affect the flavor of any subsequent batch (a fridge is in fact a wonderful place for the accidental and unintentional inoculation of bacteria - given its relative temperature and humidity which is why , although it slows the spoilage of food it does not prevent it... You are not going to "overpitch" any volume of wine with a single pack of yeast...

The yeast is very cheap and one packet says for 25litres so what ever I didn't use just got binned I want sure about storage or how long it could be stored. I was wondering if you could add too much yeast or too little for that matter! Any thoughts?

The yeast is very cheap and one packet says for 25litres so what ever I didn't use just got binned I want sure about storage or how long it could be stored. I was wondering if you could add too much yeast or too little for that matter! Any thoughts?

It's possible to underpitch, especially for novices using liquid yeast. But I don't think it's ever a big deal with wine, mead, cider if you overpitch. Beer on the other hand...... I think overpitching can have adverse effects. But I digress.

I think "overpitching" requires pints or pounds of yeast - I don't think that a wine maker making wine at home using fermenters that do not require planning permission can possibly "overpitch". Even if you used a handful of packets of yeast to make a gallon of wine. That would not be overpitching. Unnecessarily extravagant? Perhaps. Unnecessary - Certainly. But overpitching? I don't believe so..

Back