Yeasts for Festival Father Hooks Best Bitter kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Gday,

I have expired Festival Father Hooks kit (well, for the only 1 month, but anyway). Today going through the components I noticed actually the only yeast expired, rest of the goods look pretty fine (earliest BBE 09.2015).

I also see a lot of messages all around here like "Throw kit yeast away and take a real ones!" :)

So my question is obvious :) As I have kit's sachet thrown which one should I use instead for this bitter?

I have some sachets from Coopers kits (their wheat and ale yeasts) in my fridge.
There is also LHBS which stocks almost full spectrum of Danstar/Lallemand and limited set (but most of base type are here) of Fermentis.

So what would be your suggestions for this substitution?

Thanks in advance!

Any1?

Will for instance Nottingham or S-04 work well for english bitter style?

I would use s04 way before nottingham for that kit. If you have the ability to procure liquid yeast Wyeast 1968 or White labs wlp002 would be an even better choice.

^+1 for wlp002....great yeast from fullers i think. flocs out great too. It is my go to UK yeast style, but washing it can be a pita. if you find yourself wanting to harvest top cropping may be the way to go as its almost impossible to get the trub to sit below the yeast with traditional washing, its just that floculent

+1 for Wyeast 1968 or WLP 002. Both are from Fuller's brewery in London, the home of the archetype British bitters.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I think I'll split this batch and try both s04 and wlp002 then. Good chance to compare side by side :)

Thanks again!

Back