Yeast won't compact in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breadylove

Reaction score
Hi there!
I'm wondering why the yeast in my batch of pale ale using Wyeast 1056 is sooo fluffy at the bottom of my bottles? I have had them at 65-70 degrees for 2 months sitting upright and there are still instantly fluffy flurries of yeast chunks when I pick up a bottle. Even when refrigerated for a few days this still happens. I can get an ok but slightly chunky pour if I leave a good inch at the bottom. But I still get a slightly yeasty taste.

I used this yeast once before and didn't have this problem. I bottle harvested from my first batch to make the starter for this pale ale. Does anyone think that could be the problem?
Could bottle harvesting select low flocculant strains of the yeast?
Anyone notice this or could there be another explanation I'm not thinking of?

Any help is appreciated - I hear that is the yeast to use for american pale ales but I'm thinking otherwise.

Yep, long fridge time will compact it. Years ago I was cleaning out my fridge and found a bottle of one of my batches that I figure sat way in the back of the fridge for probably 8-9 months. The yeast layer was tiny, and practically rock hard. I could upend the bottle completely and no sediment got in. It took a lot of effort to rinse the bottle out even with my jet bottle rinser.

Cool. I'll throw them in the fridge and try to forget them (not easy to do when they are ice cold in front of me).

Any idea why this batch is so different than the previous? Could the bottle harvest of my previous batch be the culprit?

Cool. I'll throw them in the fridge and try to forget them (not easy to do when they are ice cold in front of me).

Any idea why this batch is so different than the previous? Could the bottle harvest of my previous batch be the culprit?

Could well be true. Ya gotta figure that whatever yeasties are still floating around by the time it's in the bottle are the least flocculant of the bunch.

Back