Yeast with High ABV and Effervescence?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crandlebrew

Reaction score
I'm doing a Dogfish Head IPA like beer. Therefore I want to get a beer with High ABV to match the high gravity, but at the same time I want to have a lot of carbonation. lots. The best I can do is WLP001, anyone have any suggestions?

Carbonation is made through the addition of a set amount of sugar if botting, or by pis if kegging, not yeast strain. Could you clarify your question?

Oh God I'm so dumb...

I was thinking that I would need a low pH resistant yeast in order to have high carbonation in beer because of carbonic acid formation.

Nah, not really. You'll want to make sure you're not way over the alcohol tolerance of the yeast before priming, though, as that could concievably be an issue.

You're bottling, then, I take it. Make sure you get bottles that can handle high levels of carbonation. Longneck style bottles get a bit unstable above 3 volumes, according to most sources. I've done OK at 3 volumes, but only if I can keep them cool and still (that is, not shaken nor stirred). Belgian and champagne style bottles are designed to handle higher levels of carbonation.

Ya I'm bottling, I have old Sierra Nevada and Firestone Walker, I guess I'll give those a try. thanks.

If the brew ferments to the limit of the yeast you're using, you can always pitch in some champagne yeast when you're about to bottle it (same time, basically, as you add the priming sugar). I would be sure to hydrate the yeast fully first, though. Make sure it's mixed as well as possible, before bottling it up. Since most champagne yeast is tolerant up to the 18% ABV area, you should be fine.

This is one of the reasons I keep a couple packets of Lalvin EC-1118 in the fridge at all times.

Back