Yeast washing, few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorisM

Reaction score
So I am about to wash my yeast for the first time and have a few questions.

- what is the shelf life of a washed yeast?
- how do you store it and should it be in a slightly open or tightly closed jar?
- is a washed yeast bound to be used in the same beer style or not (can I use a washed yeast that made a pale ale to make an IPA or something else)
- I saw some youtube videos where a brewer was sanitising the jar from the inside with Star San, could that affect the yeast in a bad way?
- how do you determine how much of the yeast is needed in the next batch?

I just washed yeast for the first time with my last batch, I watched a few videos and researched the best I could so Ill try and answer what I think is correct. I must have done something right cause I pitched the washed yeast into a new batch and its currently bubbling away!!

-I believe the consensus on most of the videos were 3-6 months in a fridge.
-Tightly closed jars.
-I was told to use it for the same style of beer.
-I didnt see anywhere that would lead me to believe the starsan was bad for the yeast. I boiled my original 3 mason jars to sanitize and used that water to wash the yeast. The next 2 jars that I transfered to were sanitized with starsan.
-The ammount was the hard part for me, I read that you could usually get one mason jar to work for a 5 gal batch. I was more worried about making sure I had enough yeast rather then conserve it so I dumped all the washed yeast into a starter and pitched it. In the future I think ill try and maybe split it into enough yeast for 2 or 3 batches.

Hope that helps out a bit, if any of thats wrong I hope someone will correct it.

I have been washing yeast for a long time, and always do so. Why throw away something usable, especially when its $5-8 ea. pack. I will answer your questons in order that they appear.

1) I have kept it up to a year, and still viable. But, I would recommend no more than 4 months. That is unless you want to freeze it. But that is a whole other monster. You cant just stick it in the freezer. There is a proper way, and a very detailed post on this site is available.

2)I store it in baby food jars, but mason jars work just as well. Just make sure there is no air (or the least possible) in the jar and keep closed tightly.

3) Once washed, you can use in any beer you want. Yo dont have to use it in the same brew.

4)ALWAYS SANATIZE EVERYTHING!!!!! The washed yeast is very easy to contaminate. I used to boil water to use for yeast washing, as seen in most processes on this site, or you tube. I found this kind of a waist of time. I now make up a new batch of star san and just use that instead of boiled water. I will sanitize my washing jars (usually 3 large mason jars) and pour all the trub into them. Then top off the jars with fresh star san mix,. Then pour back into the bucket, mix well, and proceed as you would normally to wash.
Now, a lot of people are gonna say dont do this. Star san this, star san that. Truth is, star san will not affect the yeast, or flavor of any future beer. I have been doing it this way for many years and have never had a problem. My yeast is always very healthy and viable.

5) and the last question. It all depends on the kind of yeast. Say, us-05, you will usually get enough to strait pitch into the next beer. But others can be harder to wash. Like belgian strong, I usually have to do a starter. The best way I have found is to split the wash into two jars, for 2 brews. Then just prepair a starter as you would for any other liquid yeast.

I have found over the years that yeast washing is a very easy and fun way to save even more money brewing beer. It becomes a whole other thing besides brewing. I now culture my own yeasts for friends. I even have a "house blend" of US-05 that is on its 26th generation. It tends to mutate itself for the procedures that you do. So now I have a yeast that no one else has, or can get. Unless you come to my house. Then with the right amount of begging, I may give you a jar ;)

Others my dislike, and not approve of my method, but I have been doing it this way for a long time, and never have had any problems.

Have fun in your new venture and cheers :mug:

I forgot to add. Once you take the stored yeast out of the fridge, you must use it in a timely manner. Im not sure why, but if you leave it on the counter, lets say overnight, it will be no good and not ferment your beer. I think it has something to do with you bringing it out of its "sleep" and it has no food to eat. For some reason it dies. This is why I like to make a starter. It gets a good kick start right off the bat.

I have used the same yeast for two brews (Cali Common Steam Beer Yeast). Now, my next brew will be a Fat Tire clone in that fermenter so I'll use an Abbey Ale yeast for that beer.

I say all that to say this: I sanitized two Mason jars and "swished" the yeasty trub around and poured it into the jars. I sealed and placed the jars in the fridge.

My questions: will this yeast be viable and if so for how long?

I forgot to add. Once you take the stored yeast out of the fridge, you must use it in a timely manner. Im not sure why, but if you leave it on the counter, lets say overnight, it will be no good and not ferment your beer. I think it has something to do with you bringing it out of its "sleep" and it has no food to eat. For some reason it dies. This is why I like to make a starter. It gets a good kick start right off the bat.

The yeast won't die. It just remains dormant until it is fed.

I do not wash yeast I top crop it, but my yeast has been in the refrigerator for 30 - 40 days at times and I never had a problem with it being viable

I always take my yeast and make a quick starter with the wort I am pitching into, it helps wake the yeast up

I always pour off any liquid it was stored under and pitch the whole starter wort and all

I do no chill most of the year if I can so I have about 4 to 6 hour for the yeast to come alive

but before I use any stored yeast I give it a good smell bad yeast smells very bad

all the best

S_M

I have used the same yeast for two brews (Cali Common Steam Beer Yeast). Now, my next brew will be a Fat Tire clone in that fermenter so I'll use an Abbey Ale yeast for that beer.

I say all that to say this: I sanitized two Mason jars and "swished" the yeasty trub around and poured it into the jars. I sealed and placed the jars in the fridge.

Sure, keep it in the fridge and it will be good for a long time. How long depends, but I've used it several months later. It's good practice to make a starter to ensure viability.

On a side note, why an abbey ale yeast for Fat Tire (an American amber)? Just wondering, as I hate Belgians and those bubblegum/banana/clove flavors, but I like Fat Tire for an everyday drinker so it definitely wouldn't be my thing.

Sure, keep it in the fridge and it will be good for a long time. How long depends, but I've used it several months later. It's good practice to make a starter to ensure viability.

On a side note, why an abbey ale yeast for Fat Tire (an American amber)? Just wondering, as I hate Belgians and those bubblegum/banana/clove flavors, but I like Fat Tire for an everyday drinker so it definitely wouldn't be my thing.

Quite frankly I saw it from another site and thought it was a good idea at the time. LOL. One of those "we'll see" kinda things.

Quite frankly I saw it from another site and thought it was a good idea at the time. LOL. One of those "we'll see" kinda things.

That's as good as reason as any, I guess! You might find that it's fantastic, and I'm wrong at least for my taste. I just never could get into Belgian yeast strains, even though I've tried!

Providence, RI........'Gansett Rules!!!!!!

.....and Tritanium...I was up in Bay City for a wedding at the end of September...nice area!!!!

I hear ya. I never could like sours though I tried.

Thank you all for the replies!

Also, another question, since I come from Serbia where mason jars are hard to find (and more than probably quite expensive), what is the difference between those and regular jars with regular threads? I suppose that mason jars are used because they are somewhat more durable to high temperatures but that is still only my presumption.

Back