Yeast Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCoyle

Reaction score
Howdy, all! Does anyone have any recommendations on a dry yeast substitute for White Labs WLP036 Düsseldorf Alt yeast? I was thinking maybe Safale K-97 German Ale dry yeast? Or maybe even Safale US-05? In the next few weeks I’ll be brewing a cranberry blonde ale for Thanksgiving. I don’t have easy access to liquid yeast, and to order order online during the hot summer months seems risky.. Many thanks in advance! 🍻

K-97 or notty would probably be preferable to US-05. I think even the lallemand english style yeast might work.

K-97 or notty would probably be preferable to US-05. I think even the lallemand english style yeast might work.

Thanks, NGD! I think I’m going to go with the K-97. Not too familiar with notty, I will need to look into that. Cheers

Based on attenuation, I was thinking the Lallemand London ESB or Fermentis S-33 might be the best substitutes. These get about 71%, and WLP036 is close to about 68%. K-97 might dry out the beer more than you want at 80% attenuation... but maybe you don't mind. Flavors might come closer with the K-97 though. Lots of good options.

Based on attenuation, I was thinking the Lallemand London ESB or Fermentis S-33 might be the best substitutes. These get about 71%, and WLP036 is close to about 68%. K-97 might dry out the beer more than you want at 80% attenuation... but maybe you don't mind. Flavors might come closer with the K-97 though. Lots of good options.

Great information, Taylor! Really do appreciate your (and everyone else’s) input. I went with the S-33. You’re right, I don’t want to dry it out that much. I think the 33 will pair well with my cranberry blonde being that it is a fruity driven strain. I can always brew it again with a different yeast next year. Can’t wait to have this on Thanksgiving!! My mouth is already watering. Thanks again! Cheers 🍻

Back