Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmanshane

Reaction score
Hey guys I have brewed 2 5 gallon batches. I have made starters for them here is my recipe 2000ml water 190 grams dme boil for 15 minutes cool to 68 and pitch yeast place on stir plate do this 3 days before brew day

My question is is this a good recipe how could I improve it I'm always open for suggestions. Also I'm a extract brewer for now slowly getting to all grain but not for a while yet. Input please cheers Shane

Sounds like you are on the right track. One improvement would be to use an online calculator to make sure you are sizing your starter appropriately. Mr Malty is a good one. Higher gravity beers need bigger starters than smaller gravity beers.

Also, for very large starters, you might start a couple days earlier and give yourself some time to put the yeast in the fridge. That way the yeast settles and you can pour off some of the starter and just pitch yeast. For 1L starters, I usually don't bother, but 2L is starting to be a significant volume.

Back