Yeast starter still active in fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MauroG

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've made my 1st yeast starter using a 5months old WL870. Left it in a jar for 26 hours (no Krausen but definitely bubbling). Now I transferred it to the fridge (12hours ago) and it's still producing bubbles from bottom and have very little foam at top. Wort is not very clear either at the moment.
I'm planning to brew today but I am just worried the yeast is not good enough.
Im planning to brew a 15L Belgian blonde batch.
I made a starter using 2 pints water with 90g of LME. OG was 1.030 covered with foil and manually swirled for 24hrs.
Any comment suggestion is very much appreciated!

Here is a picture 15679287864243690118091462640695.jpg

Assuming temps in your fridge are 40 degrees or below, I doubt it's active, unless you just put it in there. Most of the yeast, according to your pic, has already settled to the bottom.

You might just be seeing CO2 coming out of solution with changes to barometric pressure...

BTW, what is WL870? I looked on the White Labs site and there is no 870.

You need a stir plate. There just isn't a lot of oxygen exchange if you're manually swirling, unless you're doing it about every 10 minutes or so. :)

You can buy 'em, of course, or make your own. I think I have something like $11 in mine.

crack the lid or itll be a yeast bomb when it warms up.

My last brew I did a shakin not stirred starter and forgot to crack the lid until the next morning and could barely get the lid to unscrew . Once I did it let out a huge release . Dont know if it would have had enough pressure to blow up but i don't wanna find out.

Assuming temps in your fridge are 40 degrees or below, I doubt it's active, unless you just put it in there. Most of the yeast, according to your pic, has already settled to the bottom.

You might just be seeing CO2 coming out of solution with changes to barometric pressure...

BTW, what is WL870? I looked on the White Labs site and there is no 870.

You need a stir plate. There just isn't a lot of oxygen exchange if you're manually swirling, unless you're doing it about every 10 minutes or so. :)

You can buy 'em, of course, or make your own. I think I have something like $11 in mine.
I meant WL570 sorry that was a typo. I don't usually make starters but my supplier sent me a 5 months old yeast!

Back