Yeast Starter HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Judsonmillar

Reaction score
I'm sorta a "newbe" brewer (5 batches in) and did my first starter using expired White Labs British Ale Yeast. Bought the yeast in a recipe back in May, kept in fridge all summer and fall. I think I did a good job with with the starter
- 2 L water with DME (I forget the amount)
- Boiled for 15 min
- Cooled to 70-75 degrees
- Transferred Word to brown Growler
- Pitched yeast (out of the fridge for about an hour)
- covered with tin foil to let air in
- swirled starter a bunch to aerate

Wort never got foam on top + due to brown glass growler I was unable to see action by yeast. I transferred to clear glass pitcher to I could see what was happening. Here is the PHOTO

QUESTION: Is this yeast starter good to use or should I not risk it and order another for this brew?

I1MG_5490.jpg

That's kinda what I thought, the yeast had to come from somewhere right?
Question:
- I'll be brewing in a few days. Should I cool the starter in the fridge until brew day?
- On brew day is it best to add all liquid to cooled wort OR drain off most of liquid and just add the yeast?

Any input would be super helpful as I do not want to screw up a 5 gallon batch.

Thanks!

Fridge and decant most of the liquid. In the future, you can also make a starter the day before and just pitch it all when actively fermenting. Up to you.

Decant before pitching. You'll have even more yeast drop out as it settles in the fridge. Plus that's a little layer of protection etc.

Decant first and then into fridge or decant before pitching into cooled wort?

Refrigerate the yeast and starter wort until brewday, then remove from the refrigerator and allow wort and yeast to warm up to pitching temperature. Just prior to pitching pour off the layer of starter wort and pitch only the yeast that settled to the bottom.

Latest posts

Back