yeast slurry longevity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
So today I had planned to start the skeeter pee, but I needed a few things from my brew shop. When I got there, they closed down! :( My white grape raspberry's primary fermentation was really petering out as well, so time was of the essence. I racked the WG/rasp and measured a gallon of cool water and rinsed the slurry from the bottom of the primary and then poured the gallon back into it's jug and added 1/2 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp sugar....hopefully to keep the yeast alive and active for another day or so...till I get the stuff I need for the piss. The measured gallon and slurry will be one of the gallons for the piss. I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work, but if any of you can, please post your objections for my edification and information.
BTW I used premier cuvee.

"I" would have not added water. The slurry would have kept just fine in the fridge. I have even frozen it and used it months later.

here it is about 12 hrs later... my racked wine still has active ferments, but the gallon with the slurry doesn't seem to have ANY action whatsoever. Could I have stunted it by adding it to "cool" water? And by cool I mean cool from the tap, not refrigerated or anything.

The yeast slurry probably just ate all the sugar. Yeast can be refrigerated for quite a while and when more sugar is introduced it does it's job. You don't need to keep adding sugar or water or whatever you did to keep it alive. It is fine.

.........then poured the gallon back into it's jug and added 1/2 tsp of nutrient and 1/2 tsp sugar....hopefully to keep the yeast alive and active for another day or so...

here it is about 12 hrs later... my racked wine still has active ferments, but the gallon with the slurry doesn't seem to have ANY action whatsoever.

I think I have this straight...you added a gallon of water to a yeast slurry w/ 1/2 teaspoon of sugar...

I would guess a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in a gallon of water is so dilute you would not notice the fermentation. Yeast slurry is pretty resilient if reasonably healthy, and keeps pretty well for at least a couple days / weeks if not months...

As said above, I think you are trying too hard :)

hey thanks guys, yeah I just realized my wrong thinking I as was using my airbed pump to add some oxygen to the mix. I no realize as stated above, no food, no bubbles. Now i feel much better about my process and will continue as planned and not worry. I'm about to head out to a new brew supplier and see what's up, hopefully tonight I'll have a batch of the skeeter started!

I would lay off the air bed pump, unless you are using a hepa filter?

Sounds even more like you are trying too hard, air bed pump? I doubt that will do much better than shake shakey shake.

Good luck with the pee, want to try it but haven't...

yeah I know, I was just goofin' around. If I ruined a batch with contaminants, so be it. :D

Back