yeast removal from ethanol media

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambreen latif

Reaction score
i have used molasses for the production of ethanol and used yeast for its production. after ethanol now i want to remove yeast from it. can anyone suggest me any technique how i can remove yeast from ethanol safely and in the best way.
can i use cheese cloth filter for its removal??????/

I recommend a separator flask. The yeast will gather at the bottom of the cone and the alcohol with float above it. Simply open the valve at the bottom of the cone to remove the yeast.

but this process will take more time. and for this surrounding temperature should be less just like feel cool. but we have to work for industrial level. that's why i think process should be fast

i have used molasses for the production of ethanol and used yeast for its production. after ethanol now i want to remove yeast from it. can anyone suggest me any technique how i can remove yeast from ethanol safely and in the best way.
can i use cheese cloth filter for its removal??????/

No, cheese cloth won't work at all - too porous. You'll need to put your ethanol into a container (e.g., a keg) and use a little pressure to push it through a filter. Filters media are usually referred to as rough, fine, and polishing/sterile. The filter will need to be finer than 1 micron (yeast cells are 3-5 micron). I use the sterile 0.5 micron filter to remove all yeast from white wine. I use a plate filter assembly and the associated filter wheels, but there are other kinds of filters out there.

If your ethanol is noticeably cloudy, you might want to run it through the rough filter first, then a second pass through the sterile. That sterile pad will clog quickly otherwise.

1597841530108.png

but this process will take more time. and for this surrounding temperature should be less just like feel cool. but we have to work for industrial level. that's why i think process should be fast
If it's an industrial process then you need an industrial grade separator, either centrifugal or some tipe of filtration system. A paid consultant will be able to advise you based on your process details.

If it's an industrial process then you need an industrial grade separator, either centrifugal or some tipe of filtration system. A paid consultant will be able to advise you based on your process details.

That's true. But let's be realistic here - if she thought cheesecloth would do that job, she's not likely an industrial ethanol producer.

OK. then all of you , recommend what sort of process should be recommend at industrial level. and also it should be economical
1. if we use centrifuge it would be expensive??
2. if we use hydrocyclon it is latest technology for this process i do not know about it feasibility?
3. which sort of filters can be used for it?? either filter paper or strainer?
4. Actually our idea was like that make different layers of cheese cloth such like that available size should 1micron. then pass through it.
please give your good suggestions

Back