Yeast rafts? Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

www0251

Reaction score
2 gal Mr. Beer keg with Peanut Butter stout. I used S-04 yeast (overpitched I guess since I used the whole packet for only two gallon.) A small jar of PB2 is also in.

Thick krausen was on for the first couple days with bubbles, and once that’s gone, these white spotty layers started to grow on the surface.

379565D4-3DD4-4F40-91C8-2AD42A0A27D9.jpeg

9C8E816D-E0FE-4E07-A2A5-CEBC8F0C587A.jpeg

059CA966-D758-44F2-9DE8-344D956CC04A.jpeg

F6329D6A-BEA8-4ACD-B721-8F7042F18D79.jpeg
Is this just leftover yeast due to overpitch or some kind of infection? It’s been 10 days in initial fermentation since pitching. Temps been at 72-74. Haven’t been able to taste or check out the gravity.

Welcome to the board. Unless its hairy like mold its probably fine. Crack the spout, take a gravity reading and find out how it tastes. My advice is clean it real well with PBW and sanitize with something like Starsan before your next batch.

Can't make a call based on those pics, sorry.
You could pour a few ounces in a small sanitized glass, cover it with plastic wrap, and leave it in a warm place.
If it doesn't get funky your Mister Beer keg is probably just fine. If it does....you can decide what to do then :)

Cheers!

Pics are very difficult to provide any real comment on what it is.

You had fermentation, you made alcohol, so you should be OK. Per Papazian, there are no known Pathogens that can survive in beer - so whatever it is will not kill you, but infections can affect taste, and you will find that out pretty quickly.

I'm suspecting this is just some of the PB2 on the surface, and you do not have any issues.

Back