Yeast not active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadas

Reaction score
Hi,
making rousted stout for first time, Now it is 12 hours prom piching and its not much activity yeat.
OG vas 1,042 . Beginning to be worry..
I have stirer yeast in the worth. Maybe that is wrong ?
Does dark beers are ''heavier'' for yeast ?

Last edited:
Ok, thanks for advise

Do you have a suggestion to how many hours is natural before real fermentation starts?

Do you have a suggestion to how many hours is natural before real fermentation starts?

I don't worry about the fermentation starting until at least a couple days have passed. I usually see activity in 24 to 36 hours from the time I pitched the yeast.

What is the temperature of the wort? If you dont know touch the fermenter with the back of your hand. If it seems really cold, your temp might be to low. You can try slowly rocking your fermenter to wake up the yeast. Another trick that works for me is toss a towel in to your dryer till it gets hot then wrap it around the fermenter. I've used this technique several times, & it always works. I hope this helps.

I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Some people claim to see signs of fermentation hours after pitching yeast. In my experience though I usually see something 16-24 hours after.

Back