Yeast ideas for favorite Pacific North West pale ale!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded-chris

Reaction score
For those of you that have access to Deschutes GF pale ale in Portland or Ghostfish Vanishing point pale ale in Seattle, I am interested in any ideas of what yeast strains they may be using. I think I have my pale ale fairly dialed in but am looking for that next step. Not trying to clone, just get better. I have used Safale US-05 almost exclusively and am now thinking I should experiment with some different yeasts. I am not apposed to taking some liquid yeasts that are not GF and propagating them away from their barley origins.

Also, and ideas of what hop varieties they may be using would be helpful. The target beers are not hop forward but are very well balanced. I have been using Columbus for bittering and Cascade and/or Amarillo for flavoring and aroma additions.

Thoughts?

Mangrove Jack M-42 is nice in a pale ale.
Mild englishy esters, but nothing overpowering.
Drops clear when its done.

I just pitched some a couple hours ago.

For those of you that have access to Deschutes GF pale ale in Portland or Ghostfish Vanishing point pale ale in Seattle, I am interested in any ideas of what yeast strains they may be using.

Deschutes yeast is derived from Ringwood - presumably the original Peter Austin multistrain. Whilst 1187 and WLP005 only represent a different evolution of just one of those strains, they're a place to start.

Ghostfish use Fermentis yeast - I don't know the beer, but you should be able to work it out.

M44 is nice and clean. Similar to us-05, but maybe a little cleaner, floccs better. I've actually really liked M36, but prob not what you're after.

Ghostfish just started distributing to CT, which is amazing and unexpected. I will pick some up this week. Hope I can help narrow it down...

I know this is a little off topic but what's your favorite all around pale ale grain bill Chris? I know you're bread and butter is Pales and I'd love to know what you've settled on. I'm looking to make a pale using the SNPA hop schedule. They use 2-row and crystal 60 malts but I'm thinking I'll want a little more than that for my GF version.
[QUOTE="glutarded-chris[/QUOTE]

Lots of great info, thank you all!!!
The weather should start getting tolerable to brew in the next few weeks and i will start brewing regularly again. I might have to bottle some of each batch to be able to compare.

@ TahoPowderHound

I have been scaling back my grain bill a little since starting to use Termamyl and shooting for low 50’s OG, but i think this is probably my go to proportions:

8 lb pale millet (67%)
2 lb pale rice (17%)
1.5 lb pale buckwheat (12%)
0.5 lb millet crystal (4%)

Pretty basic. A few batches i used some biscuit rice because i had some and it turned out good. My rule of thumb is to have mostly pale, a little buckwheat and not too much crystal, biscuit etc. After having a few Ghostfish low IBU brews, i am trying to dial in the hop additions to a lower IBU.

Although Pacman is normally a seldom-seen seasonal from Wyeast, allegedly the year-round Joystick from Imperial is not dissimilar.

Latest posts

Back