Yeast, Gelatin, Carbination, flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatbeerguy

Reaction score
I've made a batch of Munton's Connuseur IPA. IT has been 48 since pitching the yeast. The instructions say to secondary at this time. My question is; Will adding gelatin finings when I rack to secondary cause #1 A failure to carbonate in the bottle and #2 Will it remove flavor/aroma. That said, I aiming for a clear IPA with a good Hop note.

I forgot to mention that I also added an additional .50 oz of pellets (dry hopped) at primary, not included in the kit.

Thanks guys

First things first, 48 hrs is NOT enough time...leave it in the primary for 2 weeks, then either bottle or secondary....your beer is likely still actively fermenting....using gelatin will not flocc out all of the yeast, so you should be fine...you will still have some haze from all the hops in the beer, though, but thats normal

+1 to not long enough if you are going to secondary then rack it there once you have reach terminal gravity (ie consecutive days with same SG reading) not before. Also when you dry hop you add them once the main fermentation is complete, just so they don't get stuck in the krausen and then plastered to the side of the fermentation vessel.

Personally I don't use a secondary for my IPAs I love hops and so mine are loaded with them. Oxidation of the delicate hop oils are the number one killer of a great IPA so I just leave them sit for three weeks in the primary and then keg (or bottle) from there. I Dry hop straight into the primary after the krasuen has fallen.

Clem

I couldn't find the exact instructions for your kit, but here are their General Instructions:

20111230-x1cg3ffkehdtxajuw7wfrysm7c.jpg

I hope what these are trying to say is to leave it for four to six days before checking for fermentation and that it ends when "bubbles cease to rise" (use a hydrometer).

Either way, I like to primary for at least 2 weeks before I start to think about moving the beer...

Aside from the whole moving beer thing, gelatin won't strip the beer of flavour. Aromatics are quite volatile, you tend to lose them when carbonation is leaving the beer (so you're more likely to lose them while transferring beer for example or if you stir it while adding gelatin).

Also, you'll struggle to stip out all the yeast with gelatin to the point where you struggle with carbonation, at worst, it may take a while longer. Try and siphon a little bit of yeast from into your bottling bucket if you're worried.

Back