Danstar Munich Yeast too QUICK???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmad2000

Reaction score
This weekend on Sunday i brewed a Simple Wheat beer for my GF. Not sure when it started to ferment but on Monday morning it was REALLY going. Then Later when i got home it had slowed. Then yesterday around 5:30pm i check to see how the fermentation going and i looked to have almost stopped. Now i may have over pitched it but i would like you guys opinion about it.

For the yeast handling it expired on 02/2013 so i decided to make a 1L starter with 100g DME. That fermented VERY quickly but smelled good and seamed to be fine.

Did I REALLY overpitch my beer?

I fermented it around 69f. Wanted to get some nice banana flavor. Will be transferring it tonight into a keg.

You shouldnt make starters with dry yeast.

Go punch in your numbers at MrMalty and see what they say for the proper amount of yeast. I would do it for you but dont know your batch size of OG.

I used mrmalty before i made the start. I said the packet was only 65% viable. Also with it be 2 months past the expiration i wanted to check it. I just transferred it and there is almost no hefeweizen beer taste. I get the wheat but no banana or clove. Will be naturaly carbonating it at room temp. Am hoping that will add a little more traditional taste.

I think this is too late to help. I currently have a wheat beer in the fermenter and am using this yeast. It looks like it is very sensitive to temperature. Yesterday afternoon I raised the temp to 20 celsius (68 f) and when I checked it out in the evening it looked like all activity had died off. So bought the temperature down to 18 C (64 f) and this morning I can see the activity has picked up again.

The pack recommends above 17 C so i thought anywhere in 17 - 20 C (62 - 69) range would be fine but it seems like the safe zone is much narrower.

Latest posts

Back