Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themcnabs

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out how to get rid of an aftertaste in my beer. I would describe it as astringent, dull, flat. I am thinking it is due to the high CaC03 in my water.

My water unaltered is has total hardness (CaC03) 182ppm, PH 7.3, total alkalinity (CaC03) 177 ppm. Ca-61, Na-18, Mg-8, SO4-7, Cl-7.

I brewed Pale ale (SRM about 6.5) with the unaltered water and it had a pretty bad aftertaste.

I re-brewed the beer adding 2g gypsum, 2g CaCl2 and 6ml lactic acid to the mash of 8 gallons and 26 Lbs of grains. I then added 7.7ml of lactic acid to the 10 gallons of sparge water. The beer turned out much better but still has some of the after taste.

I now know it takes approx 1ml of lactic acid per gallon of water to get the PH of my sparge water below 6.0. I sent a sample of this sparge water off to Ward Labs. The results are the PH dropped to 5.8, total hardness (CaCO3) did not change and total alkalinity (CaCO3) dropped to 59.

I am starting to think the only way to get the CaCO3 down is to cut it with RO water. Any ideas?

what adding lactic acid does to the water.

I would recommend cutting with RO water. Worked wonders for me. Also allows you to use less additions. I go 60-80% RO for beers like pale ales, IPA's etc.

Bru'n water has made a big difference in my beers as well.

Back