xlr receptacles for multi-purpose use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssgross

Reaction score
Hi. I have googled for days and can't find an answer.

Lots of people are using XLR cables and connections for temp sensors, and even some to send control signals to an SSR. I have a gas system with 2 honeywell valves, and some march 809 pumps. I want to know if I can use XLR to power them from my panel. i.e. xlr from panel to a outlet boxes on my brewstand, one for the pumps and one for the gas valves. The current specs are as follows:
March 809 pumps - 1.4 amps at 115 volts
Honeywell valves - max 2 amp primary valve, 1 amp pilot valve at 24vac

The above come from the data sheets. I suspect that the honeywell amps are
the maximum it can handle safely, and that they in actuality use far less.

I want to use an xlr cable, one per device, to send the above currents. I can't
find any info on this. In know people in industry use them to power lights
and sound systems, and that different cables types seem to have different ratings. The locking flanged outlets on my panel would be 1) overkill for the
gas valves and 2) way to expensive. $30 a piece!

Man, I have worked in theater/entertainment for about the last 15 years.

The majority of the XLR cable I have worked with is for sending low power (12v) signal. I could see the temp sensors handling it fine, but for sending 120v find something rated and not XLR.

I have never seen XLR or DMX (another common cable) to send power. We typically use XLR to send audio to speakers. DMX is typically used to send control signal to intelligent lights, but not power.

Be very careful with working with any voltage, and a good rule of thumb is, if you aren't sure about it, don't do it.

I would use a PowerCon (similar to NL4) connector for anything carrying power. Like the poster above said, XLR/DMX are low voltage only.

Neutrik, an industry standard brand, only rates their XLR connectors to 50VAC and 16A. Most of the standard xlr cables you might pickup cheaply at radio shack, guitar center, etc, will be of a very light guage wire. I would avoid using xlr connectors for 120V, but if I was to try it, I would make the cable with 14guage power wire(cut up extension cord), and heat shrink each of the solder connections. Really wouldn't recommend doing this, but it would probably work, just make sure everything is grounded...

That being said, I would personally use amphenol circular plastic connectors, probably the 4 position series 1 connectors, and only populate the 2 or 3 positions you are using. You can get pins and sockets for them that solder to the wires, or you can use a barrel crimping tool.

Another cheap option would be to use IEC connectors, such as are used on your desktop computer power supply, you can get cables setup with IEC male to IEC female and get the matching panel mount connectors for fairly cheap.

I'm using them to power my Honeywell Ignition systems.
Ignition Sub Panel.jpg

Boil Test.jpg

Wow! I forgot to subscribe to my own thread!
price was the only attraction to XLR.

Thanks for all the feedback.

I am using powercon connectors for pumps and burners, and speakon connectors for all the probes, and for the control signal to my 2 fridges. In all, this is a fraction of the cost of using leviton twist locks (like $30 each) and xlr.

An added benifit - ethercon for plugging in the BCS, powercon, speakon, and
anything else all have standard D size hole of 24mm. I couldn't find a punch in the US, but I they are standard in the UK. Q.max 24mm sold on amazon for $16, shipped from UK in 2 weeks.

One could also use "G size" connector with 8 pole speakon. the hole is 31mm, and Q.max has a cheap punch for that. I went with D size since putting multiple things through one cable doesn't make things as versitile.

testing the burners this week. will post pics when I'm done.

Back