Wyeast 1450 pitch temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of @Denny rye smile IPA today. Brew day went really smooth and the hydrometer sample tastes amazing. I brought the wort down to about 80* with my chiller and then dropped the fermenter into an ice water bath to take it the rest of the way to pitch temp (63*). Well life happened and I left it in the ice bath too long. I checked a few minutes ago and it was just above 57*. I have pulled it out of the ice bath, my question is how cold is too cold to pitch the 1450? Wyeast website says it will work between 60* -70*. My plan is to let it sit at room temp (74*) for a few hours till I'm ready to go to bed, but do I pitch then or wait until the morning and take my chances with something unwanted taking hold before I get my yeast in there?

TIA.
Cheers!

I would definitely not wait 'til morning to pitch Denny's Favorite, you're just a few degrees out of it's optimum window now.
Pitch it before you hit the rack, and leave the fermenter at your room temperature.
Check the temp first thing in the morning and move the fermenter to wherever you usually run your yeast...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back