Wyeast 1318

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhoDatDad78

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just completed a double brew day and one of them was a blonde ale with wyeast 1318 London ale III. I've never used this strain but it appears that either I have an infection or the 1318 is taking off. Has anyone ever seen this a few hour after pitching?

Attachments

• 20210827_211659.jpg
    20210827_211659.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
Unless it smells funky, I'd say you're ok. Yeast looks weird sometimes and can make rafts on the surface.

But unlesa it smells "off" you're very likely well on your way to making a beer.

That looks more like floating clumps of protein break. Nothing to worry about. Infections don't take hold that quickly. But yes, a large pitch of healthy yeast can take off in a few hours.

They say that a new bride can have a baby at any time but the next one takes nine months. Yeast can be similar except for the second half of that sentence.

Yep, it's got a healthy krausen now. I just switched from an IC setup to a pump and CFC, so that had to have been protien break, I'm just not used to seeing that in the fermenter like that, thought I'd picked up some funk maybe from the CFC or something. Though I'm pretty good about cleaning and sanitizing, you can't scrub the inside of your CFC.

Last edited:
Back