Wyeast 1098 British Ale--watch that temperature!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMachina

Reaction score
I used this yeast a long time ago, in the days before I had a fermentation chamber. I never got a beer that I like from it and now I have a likely explanation. Now that I have a way to control ferment temps, I decide to revisit 1098 since I was brewing a bitter where I really wanted a highly flocculant strain that could also produce a "dry and crisp" ale.

So I made a simple 1.049 wort and once it was cooled into the upper 60s I followed my normal pitching procedure: pitch the slurry of a 1L starter and then aerate for 30 sec w/ pure O2. After that, I let all my English ales sit at ambient temperature (68-70F) to keep the yeast in suspension and to allow the beer to develop some esters; I cool the beer down to the mid 60s after most of the surface is covered with foam (always less than 24 hours post pitch).

Here's the danger with 1098--it can take off like a rocket! Signs of fermentation showed up within two hours of pitching and overnight the ferment went to full throttle. Worse, this morning the ferment was at 77F--holycrapWow! I've seen that much temp elevation in some bigger beers using Belgian strains, but this was a first. Anyway, I immediately threw it into my fermentation chamber but this batch might be lost--time will tell.

So, the TLDR version is that 1098 can ferment extremely vigorously and has the ability to elevate even a mid-gravity beer's temperature by at least 8 degrees. If you use this yeast without temp control you should probalby not ferment it in an environment much warmer than 62-64F or you run the risk of getting a fruity, fusel-ly beer (which is why I stopped using this yeast for a while). And then there's the Catch 22 that if you go too cool in temp, the 1098 might just drop out before they get started or are finished.

I would also be interested in hearing other brewer's tips for dealing with this strain.

Gotta say, despite the temperature rocketing up like it did, the finished beer ended up with no detectable fusel alcohols and a very low ester profile.

Impressed with how well behaved this yeast turned out to be!

Latest posts

Back