wrapping a fridge in wood?? anyone try this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
with all the keezer builds, I wonder if anyone has covered an old fridge in wood too? I have searched and googled everything from "wood covered refregerator", "refrigerator wood panel", "refrigerator panels", etc, etc. I haven't found anything to help.

I want to build a kegerator from a fridge but would like to make it attractive.

a couple of thoughts / questions I need some input on, or need to spend some more time contemplating:

1. should I leave an air gap all around like a keezer? I say yes
2. How do I attach wood over the doors?
3. handles?

maybe I would be better to build a freestanding cabinet around the fridge and then just figure out how to cover the doors.

........... discuss......

One thing you have to be careful of is wood movement. If you use solid wood you will have to find a way to attach it s that it can expand and contract. Otherwise you will wind up with a warped and split wood fridge.

With that being said its a great idea.

In regards to attaching it, you may want to look into using hidden deck fasteners - at least on the door. It would allow for wood movement and would install pretty easily.

So I've been searching for the same thing too. I'm about to get a little mini fridge and wanted to try working with veneer since I recently started a new job at a veneer manufacturer. I'm thinking contact cement after scuffing up the metel fridge with rough sandpaper. Still waiting to get the fridge to investigate it a little more.

The thing to look for is where the condenser coils are located. There are three systems in common use on most domestic refrigerators and freezers.

1. Static coils on the back of the unit, easy to see hanging on the back. These just need to be clean and not against the wall so air can circulate over them. The space between the back of the unit and the wall (with the coils between them) works kind of like a chimney, warm air rises to pull cool air over the warm coils and cools the refrigerant.
2. Fan cooled coils, usually under the unit. The fan pulls air in and over the hot coils to cool the refrigerant. If your design has holes in the cardboard cover on the back it needs to be away from the wall a little so air can circulate.
3. Coils built into the sides and (sometimes) top of the unit, the metal skin of the unit provides the heat exchange to cool the refrigerant. If you have one of these that has coils on the top, usually only seen in upright freezers, you don't want to store stuff on the top as it interferes with the heat exchange.

So, if you have type 1 or 2 just leave room for air circulation at the back and/or bottom, if you have type 3... Plan accordingly to leave room for air to circulate around the unit, some kind of a fan would probably extend the life of the compressor.

so here's what I'm thinking: First I plan to use a side by side fridge. build a cabinet around the fridge with spacers in between for air movement. Basically a couple of pantry cabinets, one on each side and a cabinet above with 2x2 spacers tied into the cabinet sides and bottom. The 2x2's will give me something to attach fill material to so you can't see into the space. The fridge face will sit several inches in front of the cabinets. The small area of the sides that will be exposed will be painted black. Then I will attach wood panels to the front of the fridge doors. I plan to remove the inside of the doors and cover with sheet metal anyways, so long machine bolts hidden under the panel trim ran through the door and held in place in the corners of the door with a large washer and nut.

I did find this that gave me some ideas:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0222192727542.html

Thanks Butcher Boy! I am heading out tomorrow to start looking for a fridge that wants to become my new obsession! There is a place up the road that rebuilds appliances, or just gives them a good once over and resells them. I have gotten some good deals from him, so I will start the search there. Will also keep an eye on Craigslist. I will keep this info in mind when looking at fridges.

Will keep you all up to date.

Ceedubya said:
so here's what I'm thinking: First I plan to use a side by side fridge. build a cabinet around the fridge with spacers in between for air movement. Basically a couple of pantry cabinets, one on each side and a cabinet above with 2x2 spacers tied into the cabinet sides and bottom. The 2x2's will give me something to attach fill material to so you can't see into the space. The fridge face will sit several inches in front of the cabinets. The small area of the sides that will be exposed will be painted black. Then I will attach wood panels to the front of the fridge doors. I plan to remove the inside of the doors and cover with sheet metal anyways, so long machine bolts hidden under the panel trim ran through the door and held in place in the corners of the door with a large washer and nut.

I did find this that gave me some ideas:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0222192727542.html

This looks like it will work to me, just don't block the airflow under the unit, SxS units have a fan in the back with coils underneath. Vacuum the coils once a year or so to keep the heat exchange effecient.

This is what I did:
I used 1/8" plywood cut to size of all the panels then glued them to the freezer with contact cement. Then I cut aluminum angle iron to cover the corners. I used pop rivets to hold everything on. You could probably do that with a stand-up.

image-3309588883.jpg

image-2483086964.jpg

image-655241859.jpg

image-1213820567.jpg

Back