Would this work for a kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skillafizer

Goibhniu's Apprentice
Reaction score
I found this kegerator on a Craigslist-eque app, and it's cheap enough cost-wise that I could risk buying it and if I screw up my first kegerator build, losing the fridge isn't a huge problem. The measurements inside are 29.75 height x 16.5 width x 15.25 depth, inches. My question is, would this type of mini-fridge theoretically work for a kegerator? I haven't seen any builds on HBT with this type of door or cooler but I assume not too much would be different, right? Note that I'm also planning on making this a tower-style kegerator rather than putting the taps through the door.

o3967142_10480_large.jpg

I found this kegerator on a Craigslist-eque app, and it's cheap enough cost-wise that I could risk buying it and if I screw up my first kegerator build, losing the fridge isn't a huge problem. The measurements inside are 29.75 height x 16.5 width x 15.25 depth, inches. My question is, would this type of mini-fridge theoretically work for a kegerator? I haven't seen any builds on HBT with this type of door or cooler but I assume not too much would be different, right? Note that I'm also planning on making this a tower-style kegerator rather than putting the taps through the door.

Should work fine. Just so you know, fridges with glass fronts generally use more electricity than their non-glass front counterparts.

MC

As this is my first kegerator attempt (new to brewing and definitely new to kegging), I'm clueless on many things about the topic. Will this be big enough to fit 2 5-gallon cornies? I'm okay with putting the CO2 tank outside if necessary.

Height is fine for ball and pin locks.

Depth you care about is door to compressor hump.

Width might be an issue too.

Ball locks are generally 8-85" diameter, pinlocks are 9". If its deep enough you can stagger them front to back and side to side. (I.e. you don't have to have exactly 2x the diameter of your kegs if you have >1x the diameter in depth)

The owner sold that to a different person, so I'm back at square 1. I found two unconventional options on Amazon but wanted some advice as to whether they'd work:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P7QI4IM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MPLYEW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

One has internal capacity of 3.3 cubic feet despite having larger dimensions than the other (which has 5.75cu ft), so I'm not sure how that is, but my main concerns are the same: will either properly fit at least 2 corny kegs, and will I be able to drill a hole for a tower in the top without damaging refrigerant lines? And if yes for both options, which do you think would work better overall as a kegerator? I'm leaning toward the one with the internal fan since it's got a higher listed capacity and since I assume an internal fan might be useful for controlling temps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:
I'm not necessarily set on glass doors, those are just the ones I found that seem to be big enough for two 5 gallon cornies.

I'm not necessarily set on glass doors, those are just the ones I found that seem to be big enough for two 5 gallon cornies.

The mini fridges I posted in that link will fit them too. Check out the HBT link I provided, you might have to remove the freezer and move the light a little bit around but solid fridge and it's a little easier on the wallet. Plus some of those glass door fridges have coil shelves that are used for cooling so they can sometimes be a pain to bend out of the way to fit your kegs.

The link you posted doesn't work for me and I can't find that fridge for sale anywhere anymore. Know if the FFPH44M4L model is basically the same thing?

The link you posted doesn't work for me and I can't find that fridge for sale anywhere anymore. Know if the FFPH44M4L model is basically the same thing?

This one would be fine. Looks like mine just a different model. I would be hesitant on the Home Depot one you posted, all the different shelves in the door will cause problems shutting the door with the kegs in there. You would have to either completely remove the inside of the door or shave all those shelves down flush with the wall. Ie just more work.

Also you might say the FFPH44M4L has shelves too. But they are plastic and can be removed. You are left with a little ridge in the middle but it sits perfectly between the 2 kegs

So I ordered a conversion kit and a used FFPH44M4L on Amazon, all told it'll be about $500 plus the cost of whatever kegs I decide to buy. Is that a fairly reasonable price for a DIY kegerator, considering it's going to be a two-tap door conversion? My dad wanted to go the hands-off approach and just buy a pre-made kegerator online, but as those are like $800 if you can't find them on sale, I wanted to save us some money. Could I have done better or is that the price I should've been expecting?

Also, I read through most of that thread, thanks for posting it @RunNakeDnECU. Someone on that thread said they could fit 2 5 gallon cornies plus one 3 gallon if the CO2 tank was externally mounted, do you think I could look at adding another tap for a 3rd keg in the future with this fridge (ie, will a 3 gallon fit on the hump)? I know it's not like you've got a model of my fridge in front of you or anything, but you're infinitely more educated than I am so any input would be appreciated.

Don't be afraid to get a used kegerator from Craigslist. I just had a Nostalgia Electrics KRS-2150 given to me for helping do some drywall. It will hold 2 corny's and a 5# CO2 tank with ease. I'm upgrading everything and adding a second faucet to the 2.5" tower. All said and done I've put a little over $300 into it (not counting keg costs) to get it upgraded to a nice unit. I see used kegerators on Craigslist all the time. Haven't really paid attention to price though to see if it's more economical to go used or to get a new mini fridge and convert.

With a quick Craigslist search I found some cheap mini fridges in your area. Not sure how many kegs you could cram in these though?
http://columbus.craigslist.org/app/5121090029.html

Back