would this "automatic" submersible pump work for a keg/carboy washer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
Found a local deal on this unit:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-1-4-HP-Automatic-Utility-Pump-FP0S1775A/205318267

https://www.pentair.com/en/products...utility-pump-auto-on-off-1-4-hp-1790-gph.html

Top-line specs look good; 1/4 HP, 1790 GPH. THe only thing that concerns me is the controller that sounds like it is designed to prevent short-cycling while still acting as a float switch to turn on when it detects water:

"The IntelliPumpTM is fully automatic in operation. The “smart” controller starts the pump every 2-1/2 minutes and causes it to run for 5 seconds. If it senses that there is no water to the pump, it stops. If it senses water, it continues to run until the water is pumped down to 1/4” deep, and then it stops. It then goes into a 7-minute quick-detection cycle, starting 4 times the first minute, twice the second minute, and once a minute for the next 5 minutes. If by the last check it has not detected water, it resumes its cycle (running 5 seconds every 2-1/2 minutes) until it senses water again. NOTICE When you plug the pump into the wall outlet, it will start and run for 5 seconds. It will then cycle as described above. If the unit is put in the water and started, interrupting the water flow into the pump during the 5-second water sensing run will cause it to wait 2-1/2 minutes before restarting"

Since I will be recirculating 2-3 gallons of PBW solution into the bucket, the water level will never go below 1/4" deep...so do you think this will run continuously until I turn it off with a switch?

I don't think you need or even want that kind of automation for a keg/carboy washer. On (plugged in) or off (unplugged) is all you need.

Price seems steep compared to this $45 one of the same power:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superior-Pump-1-4-HP-Submersible-Thermoplastic-Utility-Pump-91250/204589831

If I were to build a keg washer, which I will someday, I'd likely use the 1/3 HP version of that Superior pump I listed above:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superio...le-Thermoplastic-Utility-Pump-91330/204609991

Note:
For keg/carboy washing you want to use pumps without an automatic (internal or external) shut-off float, IMO. They only interfere with the operation you're using it for. But if you also going to use it for things that need the auto shut off, then yeah, get one of those models.

I have pretty much the same pump (I bought it for something I no longer have so figured I'd use it) and yes it will work. I have found that if you are recirculating something that foams alot, you may get some on / off cycling from the pump, but I have found no deficit in how well it cleans. You can limit cycling by having more water in circulation.

I have used the exact pump (1/3 hp superior) that IslandLizard recommends above for about 3 years for washing kegs. I believe I paid less than $50 for it at the time. I also use it to pump ice water through my immersion chiller at the end of a brew session. This saves a ton of water and allows me to chill below ground water temperature.

It works great for both. I built a connector out of pvc that screws onto the pump output and sprays water up inside the keg and also connects to two plastic hoses with keg gas in and liquid in connectors on the ends to push cleaning solution up through those connections.

I think the one you are looking at will work but is probably overqualified for the job. I use a less than $10 GCFI switch on my pump cord to turn it on and off which works fine.

Last edited:
I picked up the pump in like-new condition for a $20-spot, so hopefully I can make it work!

any tips on the plumbing? Trying to keep it simple - PVC with minimal adapters. Central stalk with ball valve shutoff. Two PVC arms for keg connections: 1" PVC -->brass adapter barb --> Bevlex tubing --> John Guest fitting --> MFL --> ball lock QD.

For kegerator line cleaning: Ball Lock liquid QD --> ball lock jumper --> tap line QD --> faucet --> vinyl tubing off the Perlick faucet back into the bucket?

Last edited:
OK, I got most of the fittings, except one: I need an adapter that converts from 3/4" PVC slip fitting to a 1/4" MFL flare fitting. Any idea where to buy that? Or do I need two adapters?

My plan is to reuse the Bevlex hose assemblies that I have for spunding: so I need to adapt the barb-to-flare fittings to the 3/4" PVC that I'm using for the main washer parts

A quick note from someone who learned the hard way: Steer well clear of any pump that contains oil, which is just about all sump pumps. They *will* leak the oil, which will contaminate the stuff you're cleaning with said oil, which will require a complete teardown, cleaning with dish soap to degrease, and re-cleaning with PBW (or similar) to ensure no trace of the soap or oil remains.

It was not a fun time, at all.

A quick note from someone who learned the hard way: Steer well clear of any pump that contains oil, which is just about all sump pumps. They *will* leak the oil, which will contaminate the stuff you're cleaning with said oil, which will require a complete teardown, cleaning with dish soap to degrease, and re-cleaning with PBW (or similar) to ensure no trace of the soap or oil remains.

It was not a fun time, at all.
Jeez! That's good advice, thank you! So sorry that happened to you! I can only imagine the mess it caused, cleaning off oil is a pain.

I never realized those pumps were meant to leak unless there was an event of total failure.

The oil is in there to help cool the pump during use, as a medium to transfer heat to the outer mantle. I guess it also quiets them a bit. From what I gathered, many years ago, they were filled with vegetable oil, but who knows what's being used in today's world?

So any suggestions on what kind of pump to use instead? One that has umph, is not wimpy?

Here's the link to the "ScrubMaster 3000" build using said sump pump:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/scrub-master-3000-version-2-0.481451/
There are other builds around using similar sump pumps.

FWIW, Mark's II Keg Washer isn't gonna cut it, it's a small fountain pump, it won't deliver a powerful spray or power a CIP spray head.

Based on some quick homework I did, the 1/3hp Superior Pump (model #91330) is filled with vegetable oil. That being said, I have read multiple threads were people have been using this pump for several years with no issues. But, if you want a truly oil free pump, here is one that looks like it will do the job just fine ;)

https://www.amazon.com/WAYNE-RUP160-Submersible-Multi-Purpose-Water/dp/B0009X8O2E

Last edited:
I use a 25$ pond pump from lowes on my diy keg washer and it works great. I reduced the end to increase the pressure and also added a ball lock fitting to clean the diptube at the same time. Cheers

I'd want a pump that can safely handle ~135°F water for up to an hour at a time (when I'm cleaning multiple kegs).
I can't find Word One wrt warrantied operating temperature range for that Wayne RUP160 pump...

Cheers!

I use the Wayne 1/6 hp linked in a couple of posts for recirculating ice water in my IC and it works great, more oomph than I was worried I might get with only 1/6 hp, and I can recommend it for that purpose; and it would be well suited to keg cleaning with a large reservoir as well. It would maybe be overkill for my own draught line cleaning, and more importantly, the size of the pump and position of the intake would make it pretty impossible to prime in the small pail of cleaning solution I use for draught line cleaning (it seems to need to be tipped horizontal or nearly inverted for this.) For years I've been using a little fountain pump (350 gph) for my draught cleaning and it was just about adequate for a short run, but recent reconfiguration of my draught system has added restriction and it really can't manage anymore. I just ordered this one

3200GPH Submersible Frequency Water Pump Aquarium Fish Pond Hydroponics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076S8NHHT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mif0Db4EXFQVA

which looks to be a Goldilocks in between for line cleaning, and is oil free. I'll try to remember to report how it works after the next line cleaning in a couple of weeks.

I'd want a pump that can safely handle ~135°F water for up to an hour at a time (when I'm cleaning multiple kegs).
I can't find Word One wrt warrantied operating temperature range for that Wayne RUP160 pump...

Cheers!
Ah yes I don't think mine would work that well for that. I do use full hot tap water with it though. Cheers

I use the Wayne 1/6 hp linked in a couple of posts for recirculating ice water in my IC and it works great, more oomph than I was worried I might get with only 1/6 hp, and I can recommend it for that purpose; and it would be well suited to keg cleaning with a large reservoir as well. It would maybe be overkill for my own draught line cleaning, and more importantly, the size of the pump and position of the intake would make it pretty impossible to prime in the small pail of cleaning solution I use for draught line cleaning (it seems to need to be tipped horizontal or nearly inverted for this.) For years I've been using a little fountain pump (350 gph) for my draught cleaning and it was just about adequate for a short run, but recent reconfiguration of my draught system has added restriction and it really can't manage anymore. I just ordered this one

3200GPH Submersible Frequency Water Pump Aquarium Fish Pond Hydroponics https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076S8NHHT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_mif0Db4EXFQVA

which looks to be a Goldilocks in between for line cleaning, and is oil free. I'll try to remember to report how it works after the next line cleaning in a couple of weeks.
I did my first line cleaning with the new pump today and it worked very well. Moves a good volume and can handle a fair bit of head. Also, self primes almost instantly on immersion, much easier than the Wayne I use for chiller recirculation. I think this would be a legitimate choice for a keg cleaning system as well.

I did my first line cleaning with the new pump today and it worked very well. Moves a good volume and can handle a fair bit of head. Also, self primes almost instantly on immersion, much easier than the Wayne I use for chiller recirculation. I think this would be a legitimate choice for a keg cleaning system as well.
How is it lasting/holding up?
Thanks in advance.

my sump-pump keg washer is still running great. While I was using it last night, I was thinking it would be great to have foot pedal switch to turn it on and off instead of pulling the plug out of the wall socket. Most treadle switches are momentary contact, like a sewing machine control. But I'd like to tap it once to turn it on, then let it run until I tap it again. Having trouble finding a product like this - any leads for me?

You're looking for a "maintained" type foot switch like this one.

This particular style is essentially a foot-operated rocker switch - press one end to turn on, press the other end to turn off. There's another style that's like a lamp switch - press once to turn on, press again to turn off, repeat endlessly. I think I like the rocker switch style better...

Cheers!

You're looking for a "maintained" type foot switch like this one.

This particular style is essentially a foot-operated rocker switch - press one end to turn on, press the other end to turn off. There's another style that's like a lamp switch - press once to turn on, press again to turn off, repeat endlessly. I think I like the rocker switch style better...

Cheers!

thanks I like the one you linked to; the lamp-style foot switches are usually un-grounded and only rated to 2-3 Amps which is not enough to feed a 1/4-HP sump pump

I use this pump, have had it for about 6 months now, no issues. The rotary sprayer on the end constricts from 1/2"npt to 3/8" npt. It cleans just fine but I can't say I've used it to pump through a chiller. It's only listed at 24w but a reviewers states itis 50-60w. No ground wire but the garage has GFCI protection. I don't use this foot switch for the pump, but I did have it on the Christmas tree. The cord handles 500 watts.

Most of the reviewers state that it has no oil in it. Mine is still working and I haven't seen any oil.

Latest posts

Back