Would Like To Try

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did this one- I'm an avid coffee drinker, so if you dig java then I'd give this a try.

8# 2-Row
1# Chocolate
1# Flaked Wheat
1# Roasted Barley
1/2# Flaked Oats
1# 40L
Wyeast 1332 "Northwest Ale"

Strike with 132iF water (about 2 gallons) for 20 minutes. Add enough boiling water to raise temp to 150iF (about 1.5 gallons if I recall correctly).

I batch sparged through two cycles to make 7 gallons to boil down to a little over 5.5.

OG~1.060
FG~1.018

Rack to secondary after gravity is reasonable, about 1 week. After 2 weeks in secondary steep 1/2 cup whatever your favorite coffee is in about 1/2 gallon water (pre-boiled) at about 140iF. Cool and toss into secondary for a week.

Keg it. Enjoy it. Be careful. High Alcohol+Super Delicious=Possibility to drink too much.

Oh...yeah...hops...

By the way, you might also add 2 oz of Cascade at the beginning of the boil and let that go for an hour then add an oz. of Goldings at flameout.

Sorry for forgetting that, I should be flogged.

Like black butte porter?

The can you brew it recipe is posted in the hbt recipe database, it is spot on for the original.

Oh, I don't know. I haven't looked at any recipes since like 2007, I generally just fly by the seat of my pants or just recreate old recipes that I know from days of yore.

Here is a PM I did...next time I may add an ounce of EK Goldings or N. Brewer.

3 lbs Dark DME
5 lbs of pale barley malt (American or Brittish)
1/2 lb crystal malt (30L)
1/2 lb chocolate malt
1/4 lb black patent malt

1 oz Fuggles 60 min
1 oz Fuggles 15 min

Wyeast 1335 - British Ale II

Back