Worth converting this freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbattisti

Reaction score
I have a 15 cubic foot freezer that wasn't getting below 20 degrees, so the wife and I wound up getting a 20ft replacement. The older one is a GE (FCM 15CPA WH). I'm wondering if the fact that it's not getting below 20 is a sign that it's going to die soon because I'd hate to spend the time and money converting it to a keezer. Thoughts?

I'd find out what the issue is first, whether it's a bad seal or something easily fixable. The other thing I would do is to see if there's another freezer available with the same dimensions so you could easily move the collar to a different freezer if the first one dies.

Two options come to mind immediately. The first is a through the wall setup. Of course it depends on where the keezer will live and where you want to be serving. Other option is a GIANT bar top / coffin style that doesn't even connect to the existing freezer. Just a large shell around it. Once again just run the lines to the taps. They both have the common aspect of "If the freezer kicks the bucket, a new one will easily take the place." If it get to the point that it's toast you just need a few new holes for lines and STC controller and you're set up again. The serving side can remain untouched.

Other option is to trust your gut and not trust the freezer. Even if it doesn't crap out completely it'll likely be running inefficiently compared to a new one, and eventually end up costing more through power consumption.

If you convert it and it dies, is the option to replace it there? If so, then you have the equipment, and you have one that is basically a test run and can try out the placement and connections.

If it dies, it will get replaced, but won't be that big. I guess if I build a collar for it, I would just need to remove it and shorten the 4 sides to accommodate a newer chest freezer. How difficult would it be to remove a collar once it's siliconed on the "old" freezer? I would assume, not very.

Using plain old caulking or silicone should be a breeze to remove. Using some weatherstripping that adheres to the collar and just squishes onto the freezer would be even easier. Just don't do something foolish like use PL premium. If you do, buy new collar material.

Latest posts

Back