Wort cooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylonl

Reaction score
Good day all.
Firstly, thank you for letting me join this forum. Brewing beer must be one of the single most satisfying hobbies I’ve adopted.
I’ve been brewing now for about 2 years. Nothing too serious until now.
Recently I brewed my first full grain batch with fairly satisfying results.
When cooling the wort, I submerged the immersion chiller in an ice bath and ran the wort through it. It worked very well but obviously not the conventional method of doing things.
Are any disadvantages of doing it this way.

Attachments

• 329D2DEF-55FF-41E6-A707-B182FE546ACA.jpeg
    329D2DEF-55FF-41E6-A707-B182FE546ACA.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 7
Sounds like similar to what a counterflow chiller is designed to do, sorta not really. I personally wouldnt advise doing it much, there could be quite a few sanitation issues that pop up over time.

I dont see any benefit to using that method vs traditional. It's got the same method and medium of cooling. As long as the chiller is moved or water/wort is recirculated, all things should be equal.

The biggest advantage of an immersion chiller is sanitation. Using it like this takes that away. Advantage of counterflow or plate chillers is efficiency, at the loss of extra time cleaning.

Make sense?

Sounds like similar to what a counterflow chiller is designed to do, sorta not really. I personally wouldnt advise doing it much, there could be quite a few sanitation issues that pop up over time.

I dont see any benefit to using that method vs traditional. It's got the same method and medium of cooling. As long as the chiller is moved or water/wort is recirculated, all things should be equal.

The biggest advantage of an immersion chiller is sanitation. Using it like this takes that away. Advantage of counterflow or plate chillers is efficiency, at the loss of extra time cleaning.

Make sense?
Makes perfect sense.
I suppose cleaning the outside of the chiller is far less challenging than cleaning the inside.
Thank you.

Back