Wort chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattyice38

Reaction score
Want to make a homage wort chiller using clear plastic tubing and a bucket. Will this work?

I would have to say it is highly unlikely to be any good, you need to use a material that has a good Thermal conductivity rating. (Copper is around 400, Aluminum 200, iron 80, Stainless Steel 20 etc, Plastics a lot less than 0.5) The higher the number the better heat transfer is.

Copper is expensive but the heat transfer is amazing, I used 18m (60ft) of coiled as a cooler .. and cold water goes in it comes our "burning hot". Clearly you don't need 60ft coil that was just the size that was sold here and you could use half of that.

I made mine from a package of copper coil and various fittings at Lowe's. Input screws onto a garden hose, exhaust empties out over the side of the brew pot. made for about $30, works like a charm.

Just like Shaky I made one from a 25ft coil of 3/8" copper, some vinyl tubing and hose fittings from Home Depot for around $20-$25 and it looks exatly like a $60 one from the HBS and works great.

Latest posts

Back