Wort calculator can't enter steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morri896

Reaction score
I just downloaded wort homebrewing calculator for android and have been playing with it, but I can't figure out how to enter steeping grains. I tried entering them as grains in the boil and in the mash, but at least the color didn't come from it. I was copying the recipe that came with my starter kit for an amber, which uses golden malt extract and an amber mix for steeping, but it came out with 2-3 on color no matter what I did.

I just downloaded it and was playing around with it. I added amber malt (grain) in the boil for 30 min. I started at 1.5lbs and color was 5. I increased it to 3.5lbs and the color jumped to 9. It seems to work on mine. The only thing I don't see in your description was time. What did you enter for time? And your steeping grains should be a boil addition, i think...

I just downloaded it and was playing around with it. I added amber malt (grain) in the boil for 30 min. I started at 1.5lbs and color was 5. I increased it to 3.5lbs and the color jumped to 9. It seems to work on mine. The only thing I don't see in your description was time. What did you enter for time? And your steeping grains should be a boil addition, i think...
It turned out that the grain I was using had a lovibond of 0, i used it because it said amber and that was what the kit grains said on the bag, it worked when i switched to caramel.

Although that was the same one i used probably, don't know why on mine it has a 0.

I would look for a different calculator...

Why would you need to add grain to the boil? To make the calculator work?
You shouldn't boil grains, they should be mashed or, if steeping grains, steeped at ~155F.

Also, if you more than doubled that grain amount, the color should have more than doubled too. Not merely increased by a factor 9/5. :drunk:

I tried out a few apps a couple months ago. My impression of "wort homebrewing calculator" is that it seems to be a work in progress with very basic features. I did like "Calculate Beer". There are some places where texts shows up in Italian. Their strike water temp calcs in the app are clearly wrong (at least with imperial units). I notified about them and they responded, but it does not seem to be fixed yet. I decided to purchase BeerSmith3 Mobile. It is clunky and not perfect, but it has better support for different equipment (I do a mix of 2.5 gal stovetop BIAB and 5 gal BIAB...with an occasional off size for split batch fermenting). Once you get your profiles tuned in a little, the calculations are quite accurate.

I would look for a different calculator...

Why would you need to add grain to the boil? To make the calculator work?
You shouldn't boil grains, they should be mashed or, if steeping grains, steeped at ~155F.

Also, if you more than doubled that grain amount, the color should have more than doubled too. Not merely increased by a factor 9/5. :drunk:

LOL, I did think it was weird that the only options for grain were 1. Boil 2. Mash 3. Primary 4. Secondary. I didn't add anything to it other than grains in the boil so I didn't spend much time on it.

Latest posts

Back