Worried about birds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedfReako5

Reaction score
Chinook and Cascades started popping up today.
Should I worry about birds or other pests eating my cones or vine as they grow? First season grower, need help. Thx
Have mostly doves, cactus wren, quail, desert birds.
Thanks.

Hops are an incredibly tough, vital plant. I'd not worry about any of the animals you describe. If I were you, I'd worry about being at 32° 13' N latitude. You're a bit South for good hop growing. This has more to do with things like day length, etc., than it has the animals or other organic factors in your environment. Good luck, in any case.

Haven't seen any reports of bird problem down there. The biggest trouble seems to be keeping the plants from frying the first year because the root system can't keep up with the water requirements. Some people use shade cloth.

Up here, it doesn't get really hot until June, so the hops have plenty of time to put out new roots.

I've never had a big problem with birds. The hop shoots are pretty bitter - hard to believe that anything would eat them. Also never seen any critter eat the cones.

Do watch for aphids and spider mites. I use ladybugs to help control the aphids. Never had spider mites (knocks on wood).

Back