Work shop to brew house build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huxon44

Reaction score
Hey all,

My brother recently bought a house and the previous owner had built a shop in the back. Being a brewer and seeing what this shop could become, I went out one night and started to demo. Let me first say, I have very minimal experience with any kind of construction, I work in the medical field. About 4 weeks have gone by and I have tried to conserve as much money as possible, current total $200. Half of the tile was left by the previous owner, likely from the 80's, so I decided to buy the cheapest tile I could find and tile two different style (who cares).

I then found a industrial sink on craigslist (25$), bought some drywall, oops paint, and a few other things here and there. Overall the project has been a pretty good success. The floor in the shop is not level at all and has been a pain to deal with. There is great movement of air in the shop with the vent fan, big window and open door. I am in the process of building a fume hood to put over the kegs. I have a fermentation chamber, keezer, and hops/yeast fridge in the shop.

As you can see in the pictures I have created an outside tap which was pretty easy and cheap. $10 electrical box, step drill bit and a 2x4 for support.

If anyone has suggestions on things to improve I am open for all suggestions. First brew day will be this weekend. Also if you want pictures of anything, just post below. I will add a few more pictures of the completed project in the near future.

DSC06634.jpg

IMG_5867.JPG

IMG_5868.JPG

IMG_5869.JPG

DSC03657.jpg

DSC04627.jpg

DSC05760.jpg

DSC05761.jpg

DSC05762.jpg

DSC06606.jpg

Looks good, I had a similar space in my last house that boy do I miss. Two things I had that were indespensible is a floor drain for when you inevitably make a mess and frp around the sink and your brew rig

Love that outside tap idea! Excellent work on such a low budget! Two suggestions, only because I'm safety oriented, is to ensure proper exhaust for the propane (fan blows out I assume) and I would suggest some type of heat/flame retardant material on that wall the burner is up against.

Your my hero...probably build mine later in year or early '17. Thanks for such great ideas!

Edit: Where's the 60in tv going??? :)

Added a few new things over the past two months to the brew house. Now have three taps in the outdoor box, bought a grain mill and built a cabinet to house it, created a beer/bottle cap wall on the outside of the shed, planted some hops on the side, put in a new outdoor hose for cleaning everything easily, bought a huge propane tank for 10$ on craigslist, added a new fermentation chamber, piped the propane for the rig so I no longer have bottles in the way during brew day. Still awaiting to put a floor drain in an seal the floors completely. Let me know your thoughts/suggestions! Thanks

IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_5841.JPG

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5856.JPG

IMG_5886.JPG

IMG_5897.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

IMG_5914.jpg

Very cool. I like the bottle cap wall, that had to take some time.... Good luck and enjoy....:mug:

Latest posts

Back