Woodworking, sorry no beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Hello, anyone know of a good woodworking forum, I am a novice and need some tips.

I am happy with this, but have a few questions; like is there a stain-able glue?

Thanks

finished.jpg

glue poo.JPG

I use original Titebond for just about everything. Just have to wipe the excess off with a damp cloth, and use a cabinet scraper for any that gets missed, after it dries.

Nice work, there!

To get the pics to show in the thread, instead of attaching them, use {IMG} {/IMG} tags surrounding the URL. (Use square brackets instead of curly brackets.)

There are stainable wood glues available, but getting glue of any type on a wood surface you want to stain is a bad idea. The stainable wood glues never end up matching the actual wood when stained.

Assemble and then sand clean any surfaces that get glue on them.

There are stainable wood glues available, but getting glue of any type on a wood surface you want to stain is a bad idea. The stainable wood glues never end up matching the actual wood when stained.

Assemble and then sand clean any surfaces that get glue on them.

I get the sanding, but sanding in the corners is not possible.

I get the sanding, but sanding in the corners is not possible.

I always use a sanding block or make my own dual angle blocks on the table saw and wrap sandpaper around them. It's not easy to sand inside corners, but it's not impossible.

A few inside corners needed finishing on these two projects, for example.

thumb34.jpg

2693198082_56660d26ce.jpg

Sean,

I'm a moderator over at the WoodNet forums. Good group there. Couple of jerks floating around, but we try to keep them in check ;) The good thing is there's a huge membership, so you can get conflicting advice on pretty much any question.

To answer yours specifically: I'm not aware of any stainable glue. The best thing to do is preventative maintainence. Try applying painter's tape to the areas of the joint you don't want to get glue on. Then after the glue gets rubbery but before it sets completely, peel the tape off.

-Joe

By cabinet scraper, I mean these.

Basically just a piece of steel with a burr turned on the edge. You'd be surprised how smooth a surface you'll get with one. Better than with sandpaper, for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back