Woodfordes admirals revenge with SG of 1.040 seems low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andybrew

Reaction score
I just put this brew on, but on reflection the starting gravity seems too low given the instructions say to bottle after 1.020. Im considering adding sugar now before the ferment runs its course. any advice on the wisdom of this appreciated as don't want < 3% beer

andybrew said:
I just put this brew on, but on reflection the starting gravity seems too low given the instructions say to bottle after 1.020. Im considering adding sugar now before the ferment runs its course. any advice on the wisdom of this appreciated as don't want < 3% beer

Andy, you don't need to mess with the Woodforde's kits. It's all measured out and ready for you to mix up to 23 litres.

Leave it fermenting for a week (or 2) and it will be fine. Last time I did one the instructions said that FG would be about 1.012.

1.020 is too high, could you check your instructions again?

Thanks BE, checked instructions again and they definitely say to bottle after 1.020. Happily, in the end I decided not to put extra sugar in but did add a little yeast nutrient. It took off like crazy and four / five days in the gravity is down to 1.010 where it seems to be settling. Going to leave in FV for a while longer as you suggested, checking gravity each day and then prime and bottle once it looks as though there is no more activity. I brewed great eastern before and it stuck at 1.018, bit weak but it was tasty. Looking forward to admirals reserve now. Its quite cloudy but smells nice. Think it will take some time to clear, but can finish off the GE in the mean time. Cheers, andy

Latest posts

Back