Wood brew table sealer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMatt1985

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to help waterproof the new brew table I built? Didn't know if some sealers are still more flammable when dried.

Epoxy is your best bet. Once dried/cured it can withstand contact heat and nearly any chemical you'll ever mess with.

I ended up going with a marine tung oil for the butcher-block style top that I made for my stand. When I was doing research I wanted something that did well with prolonged heat, water and could be used on a variety of woods since I had both hard and soft woods in the mix. I contacted Waterlox and they said while they don't test for it, they used to do a demo where they would put 10-12 coats on a colander and then pour boiling water into it where it would stay sealed for 20 mins or so.
I was also looking at an epoxy but went this route since the marine variant is more UV stable and you don't have to mix it. No mixing means you always have the correct ratio but holy hell VOCs; so make sure you can leave it outside for a few days.
here's a shot from my phone after 2 or 3 coats, I did around 6 in total and a few extra on the really soft woods.
miK4BGM.jpg

I have a solid walnut kitchen table that is 3 years old now with just one coat of tung oil on it. Im amazed at how well the stuff has held up. Water and liquids still bead on it! Its used daily for breakfast and lunch too!

I have a solid walnut kitchen table that is 3 years old now with just one coat of tung oil on it. Im amazed at how well the stuff has held up. Water and liquids still bead on it! Its used daily for breakfast and lunch too!

yup after a year, a few boil overs and the such it still looks the same as when I finished it; and wipes clean which is crazy since its been hit with a scrub brush a couple times.

I didnt know anyone used tung oil anymore since the epoxies and polyurethanes came about. Looks really good.

Not sure about the marine ting oil but the stuff I used really surprised me. I didn't think something all natural could be so effective. But I can say the stuff is awesome!

Back