Wobbly keg for conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirkomatic

Reaction score
I was looking for a reconditioned keg to convert to a keggle and the ones I can find are (in the words of the supplier) "a bit wobbly" because the bottoms expanded due to freezing.

My question is, assuming I could get it to sit on my burner without being wobbly, would this be an issue using as a keggle?

Also, if I were to use a sledge hammer on the bottom to flatten it out (assuming I could), would the dents cause any issues with the brew kettle?

Thanks!

I can't see some dents in the bottom rim of the keg as an issue. Nor can I see using a sledge hammer to even out the bottom rim as a good idea. Nor using a wobbly keg with 10+ gallons of boiling liquid in it.

Seems like a lot of work and worry instead of finding a better option. Which I think is your best option here.

Thanks for the helpful reply... :)

If I had a better source, I would definitely use it. Unfortunately, I have a few conditions... I am on a tight budget, so I am trying for an affordable solution. Usually shipping puts anything over my limit, so I'm trying to source locally. I am trying a keggle because if I can obtain a decommissioned one for a reasonable price, I can cut it open. If I could find a better source, believe me, I would take it.

I assume it is not the skirt, but the actual bottom that has expanded.

Thanks for the helpful reply... :)

If I had a better source, I would definitely use it. Unfortunately, I have a few conditions... I am on a tight budget, so I am trying for an affordable solution. Usually shipping puts anything over my limit, so I'm trying to source locally. I am trying a keggle because if I can obtain a decommissioned one for a reasonable price, I can cut it open. If I could find a better source, believe me, I would take it.

I assume it is not the skirt, but the actual bottom that has expanded.

I guess I would see what he means by wobbly first. If the bottom has expanded and not the skirt, it might not be as bad as you think. It's a little dangerous to have all that hot liquid in a wobbly keg....I'm just saying :tank:

Curious now, what kind of budget we talking? What's gonna be the use of the keggle in the set up?

is this a brewstand, or just a burner?

If its a stand, you could weld a few small pieces of 2-3 inch angle iron to the top upside down. The keg would fit snuggly in between the pieces. It would still wobble, but you would have a better piece of mind knowing its more secure.

The bottom skirt on my keg was dented and I straightened it out a bit with a 4' pipe wrench. If it's the bottom of the keg it may not be a problem because that sits over the burner anyway.

Nice. Unfortunately welding is outside my skill and tool set. Maybe I need to check with a local welding shop....

Nice. Unfortunately welding is outside my skill and tool set. Maybe I need to check with a local welding shop....

There's workaround a for everything, it just depends on how much of a hack job you're willing to put up with. You could drill holes in the collar and bolt on 3legs if you wanted. Wouldn't be pretty, but it would work. You did say budget so paying a welder may not be in the cards.

There's workaround a for everything, it just depends on how much of a hack job you're willing to put up with. You could drill holes in the collar and bolt on 3legs if you wanted. Wouldn't be pretty, but it would work. You did say budget so paying a welder may not be in the cards.

This.

Legs can be something as simple as 3 pieces of scrap/angle iron the same height.

A great workaround for the issue and you'll be able to get what you want. Make sure to you use some hefty bolts for this and you should be good to go.

Back