WLP800, caught starter just in time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
This is my first time using this yeast. I picked up a very fresh pack for a 12 gallon Czech Pilsner I plan on brewing this coming weekend. I made a 4L starter to begin with and noticed a healthy 2" krausen on that first round. Last night, I stepped up that decanted yeast onto the next (round 2) 4L starter and went to bed. 6 hrs later I woke up to this nearly blown over slurry. Caught it just in time to add a couple drops of fermcap. "Note to self on adding fermcap before going to bed." My wife already tolerates me using counter space for yeast starters, if I made a mess, I could get banned from the kitchen...
2020.07.28 wlp800.jpg

You should try that with continuous aeration. You'd quickly learn the value of fermcap.
BTW you do realize that by just decanting and doing another 4L starter you're not really stepping up anything?

You should try that with continuous aeration. You'd quickly learn the value of fermcap.
BTW you do realize that by just decanting and doing another 4L starter you're not really stepping up anything?
I guess I have no way of refuting that because I don't have a microscope to count my yeast. However the yeast calculator I use indicates growth on this round. I agree that if I were to do another round (which I still will with a vitality starter on brew day), there will hardly be any growth.
2020.07.28 wlp800 starter.JPG

Back