WLP 940 Mexican Lager Yeast-Thumbs Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
Hi brewers, I've been brewing lagers for years with various American and European strains. My lagers have always turned out well, but I must say the WLP 940 -the Modelo strain from Mexico is the easiest, quickest lager yeast I have ever used.

I brewed a Premium Mexican-American Lager/Bohemia-like beer at 1.050, just 80%2-row, 10% light Munich and 10% rice flakes, 22 IBU. I chilled the wort to 53f ,pitched a 1.5 L starter, oxygenated, put in fermentation chamber at 52f and primary was done in 5 days-1.010. 78% attenuation. Raised to 62 for a D-rest (could not detect any, but always do a D-rest anyway) I crashed it to 33f over 3 days, racked a very clear beer to keg and harvested nearly a quart of yeast. I am lagering it, but honestly its already a tasty beer after 2 weeks! It has a very clean profile.

I had read review on the White Labs site, and the reviews were very positive, and I can only agree. This yeast may make you want to brew lagers much more often. Not much different than an ale strain other than the fermentation temperature. Anyway, if you are looking to brew a summer lager, this is a great yeast!

I have two vials in the fridge, I'm going to have to wake them up soon and brew something with them.

The White Labs site has it rated as 4/4 for a doppelbock and 2/4 for oktofest.

"From Mexico City, this yeast produces clean lager beer, with a crisp finish. Good for Mexican style light lagers, as well as dark lagers. This is one of the best lager strains in the White Labs yeast bank; try it with any lager."

I have only brewed one batch with WLP940, so mot much personal wisdom. I am planning on doing a Modelo Negra like amber lager next, then a schwarzbier with it.

Ive been trying to decide on a Vienna lager recipe for a couple of weeks now. This yeast sounds like a perfect choice, still looking for a recipe though.

I just pitched a very healthy 2.5l starter into 47 degree wort (pre chiller did an amazing job!) yesterday and as soon as it warmed to 52 it took off. I'm using this in a SMaSH IPL for a intra-club comp that will be judged May 29th. Late addition and hop backed Apollo, plus a dry hop at the end of the D-rest should yield some fun.
I was worried about my timetable a little before I read the OP's post, feeling relieved.
Going to be harvesting this batch to do something a bit more diverse real soon!

Ive been trying to decide on a Vienna lager recipe for a couple of weeks now. This yeast sounds like a perfect choice, still looking for a recipe though.

Me too. There are a lot of recipes in the HBT recipe database.

I am going to do this as a Negra Modelo/Dos Equis Amber kind of beer:

Dos Negra Clonish Vienna Mex lager
3-A Vienna Lager
Author: T
Date: 3/29/14

Size: 5.64 gal
Efficiency: 82.0%
Attenuation: 76.0%
Calories: 172.6 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.052 (1.046 - 1.052)
Terminal Gravity: 1.012 (1.010 - 1.014)
Color: 11.98 (10.0 - 16.0)
Alcohol: 5.18% (4.5% - 5.5%)
Bitterness: 24.9 (18.0 - 30.0)

Ingredients:
5.5 lb Vienna Malt (Organic)
3.3 lb Pilsner Malt
1.4 lb Munich Malt
0.25 lb Caramunich® TYPE III
0.06 lb Carafa® (Organic)II
1.2 oz Mt. Hood (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.4 oz Mt. Hood (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 10.0 min
0.0 ea White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager

Got a vial of this stuff munching away right now. My friends recipe (I never planned on doing a lager), and he's planning on some kaffir lime leaves in the secondary.

I've done good German pils, helles with it. Don't get fixated on the "Mexican" part and assume it has to be a negro modelo clone. This is a fantastic yeast.

I've done good German pils, helles with it. Don't get fixated on the "Mexican" part and assume it has to be a negro modelo clone. This is a fantastic yeast.

Biggest pet peeve! It's probably one of my favorite yeast, yet I constantly find people more or less insisting that it's only good for mexican-style lagers. It makes such a great dark lager too. But unfortunately my local homebrew store sometimes can't move it outside of summertime because most people buy it just for modelo/corona clone beers.

Back