WLP 833 headspace needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apache_brew

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a Helles Bock with WLP 833 (I've never used it before). I ferment in 1/2 bbl sankey kegs. I normally stick to 12-13 gallon batches and haven't had any issue with krausen blowing over. I'm curious what experience people have with this yeast when it comes to how much krausen is built up when a healthy pitch is used and fermented at 50F. I basically want to push the limits of the fermenter volume. Is 14.5 or 15 gallons too much in 15.5 gallon sankey? Even though I have pressure fermenting capability, I'd rather not try that on my first time using this yeast.

🍻

I don't think I've ever used WLP833. But my experience with other lager yeasts suggests that at 50F, you should be (more than) fine with the same amount of headspace you've been using for (presumably?) ales.

If in doubt, maybe consider using some Fermcap-S.

Good call on the fermcap, I've only used it on the hot side up until now, I think I'll toss some in for fermentation on this round and shoot for 15 gallons 😁 .

These efforts are simply to minimize the number of brew days I dedicate to maximize output lol.

I’ve got a 6.5 gallon batch of Vienna lager going now with WLP833 in a SS Brewtech fermenter. Didn’t need a blowoff tube.

My fav lager yeast. most ferments regardless of gravity produce around 1 inch of krausen. I did a trippel bock that the wort started at 1.080 and then I added 3 qts of homemade maple syrup after 5 days and then the krausen went to 2 inches. You should be OK with 15 gal.

Latest posts

Back