WLP 773 Cider Log

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maylar

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up 6 gallons of a special pressing from a local cider mill Sunday 11/11/18. I'm intending to use the WLP 773 Scottish Cider yeast that we got from White Labs' vault earlier this year. I bought 2 vials and they've been in my fridge since January, with a July "use by" date.

The fermentor is in my basement which has been at 62°F due to the unseasonably cold November we're having. I took the vital measurements and sulfited it at 50 ppm as I always do.

I put about 1/2 gallon in a separate jug for a starter, and brought that and a vial of yeast upstairs in the house where it's about 67-68° and let them acclimate for a few hours. Added 1/4 tsp Fermaid-K and the yeast and aerated with an O2 stone. Aerated again Monday morning and evening when I came home from work. There was a small layer of lees but no foam in the starter jug. Brought it downstairs to let it attemperate overnight, and pitched Tuesday morning with 6 grams of nutrient.

Tuesday night, no activity evident. S-type airlock dead even. No foam or bubbles on the surface.

Hmmm.

This morning (Weds) still nothing. I've never had a ferment fail to start before. I'm thinking this yeast has issues. Aerated again and added the 2nd vial of yeast and moved the bucket close to my boiler to warm it up a bit.

If there's no activity when I get home tonight, I'm gonna pitch some S-04 and curse White Labs.

Here's hoping...

Good luck! I've still got my vial in the fridge and planned to crank it out over the late fall / winter. Scanning feedback from folks on 773 - it so far doesn't appear to be all that "special". Hmm. o_O

Yeah, nobody has had it quit at 80% attenuation yet, as it was advertised. That's the whole reason I was interested. I'm planning to use a protocol similar to what's in Claude Jolicoeur's book - racking off the lees early to reduce the yeast biomass and slow the ferment down. That assumes however that it starts at all lol.

Folks have reported though that it makes great cider, regardless of final gravity.

Last edited:
4 vials, several tests. It made a relatively decent dry cider and also had no trouble going dry in an 11% applewine. Tendency to produce H2S in a stressed environment was higher than some strains but lower than others. Worked fine at fairly low pH but was at wrong time of year for me to test with suuuuuper high acid stuff. In the end it was what I thought it was.

I was super skeptical but willing to give them a chance. After the way they shipped it and the confirmation that the dubious attentuation claims were BS I'd say I have no real interest in trying any "special" cider yeasts with them again. YMMV.

cheers--
--Michael

"Pleased" to see that someone else has concerns. Earlier this year I posted about similar problems I had with "last year's" WLP773 with a use by date of January but not used until April (the posts were 22 April and 3 June).

I had two batches of mixed apples, one with SO4 and one with WLP773. The SO4 was started in March at 1.055, took off straight away, went to secondary, reached 1.002 by May (two months), was clear and remained there ready to be bottled in June.

The WLP773 was started at 1.060 in April with a slightly different mix of apples, slowly generated a thick foam but no real fizz and was racked to secondary at 1.040 in May. By June (six weeks after starting) it had staggered down to 1.030. I thought it might have become "stuck" so following Jollicoeur I added some extra nutrient and moved it inside from 50 degrees to 60 degrees where a bit of bubbling started.

By August, the WLP773 finally got down to 1.002 and was bottled. The outcome is quite good but not significantly different to the SO4 batch.

WLP773 is hard to come by here in Oz and with a use by date of January (two months before our Fall and apples being ready to pick) it is a dubious proposition especially as the transport conditions are unknown.

Another White Labs yeast (WLP775) also seems to be somewhat of a favourite with Posters and is more readily available here, so I might give WL one more chance next year, otherwise I am quite happy with SO4 as it seems to be a lot less trouble.

I got mine in Feb. or Mar. Was lucky to find some freshly pressed juice. No doubt from stored apples. It was quick and clean. Good and dry or semi-dry but nothing special.

I have the Funky Cider yeast coming next. I hope it comes or at least confirms shipped before the mills stop pressing.

Well, I added some DAP this morning and finally there's airlock activity. Seeing that it's been 5 days it's possible that I may have a wild ferment on my hands, but I hope it's the 773 that finally woke up. Note to future users of this yeast: Pitch above 62°F.

I'll report SG changes here as I take them. Still intending on racking off the gross lees at about 1/2 gravity to slow it down.

It's down to 1.010 today, 6 days in, with a very active ferment going on. I guess the claim of low attenuation is a lie. Temp has been 60-62 all week. Racked to secondary and saw surprisingly little lees.

Time will tell, but if it finishes anywhere above 1.004 I'll be happy.

WLP773 all is forgiven! Regular readers will know that I have carried on about what a PITA this yeast is... slow to start, took ages to get down to 1.002, "has it stuck", etc. The first real "tasting" in September (six months after primary) was quite good, but not significantly better than a similar batch with SO4. But, today after another two months, and the start of Summer, it is excellent. I guess it only gets better with time. Just a touch of sweetness with some tartness and lovely apple background. (I sound like a wine critic!)

Last edited:
I'm glad it turned out good.

Just checked mine, it's sitting at 0.998 after 2 weeks. White Labs claim of 80% attenuation is total BS.

Not much lees with this yeast, I dunno why. I think I'll let clear for another week and rack for aging.

45221188555_d66c0b7f3c_z.jpg

Mine was finished in the spring and bottled in the summer. I’ll have to pop a top and see where the gravity is now.

Last edited:
Yes Maylar, the Lees is an interesting situation. Mine also never really settled, unlike SO4. However by bottling time it was reasonably clear and yesterday when I opened the bottle, I was able to drink it all. With other yeasts which have resulted in sparkling clear cider before bottle carbonation, I often have leave a bit of muck in the bottom.

My notes show I bottled at 1.000 but I just checked a bottle and it was 1.002 at 60 deg. F. I guess it was warmer when I bottled and didn’t correct it +2 pts.
View attachment 600414

Back