WL545 yeast dual fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humuleneman

Reaction score
Ive done a belgian strong ale with a starter made from a simgle vial of wl545. my fermentation was agressive fast and clean. the yeast seemed to give an active fermentation and then make a settle to the bottom in a pretty even layer. the beer was excellent . att 90%.
To save this living worker. i did a petri dish that gave me plenty of isolated colonies. the strain was pure with no other living microorganism that could grow on that agar. i took a single colony and made a slant and a glycerol tube to freeze at -80 deg. the slant and agar plates where refrigerated at 4 deg celsius. a week prior to brew day.i took a single colony. inoculated 10 ml of sterile aerated wort and incubate for 48 hours. took this culture and inoculate 400 ml of sterile wort. 48 hours again. then to 1,5l and 48h. the 400ml and 1.5 were on a stir plate. i decanted the 1.5l starter and pour another 1.5l of sterile wort in the same erlenmayer and waited 24h for my brewday.
the beer brewed was the same recipe and same OG. when the active fermentation took place i had the surprise of seeing a very different yeast behavior. i had a very flocculent fermentation with chunk of yeast nearly 1.5inch in diameter. the fermentation was like a dance. if i had to put on music it would have been the dance of the sugar plum fairy! at the end the bottom of the fermentor was more like a pile of chunks.
the attenuation after 3 weeks was around 87%.
Did anybody who is using a starter make from a single colony had a change of fermentation compared to the one originaly sold by yeast companies?

Back