first time tweaking a recipe, want to do it right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonzx

Reaction score
beer is a spotted cow recipe, which was brewed 4-9-13 and the fermentation is nice and strong.
my plan is to siphon 1 gal out of my primary fermentor at some point in time, i was told to wait 3 days after the krausen starts to fall, and put into a test growler for some experimenting.
my plan is to make a spicy peach spotted cow. i will be using skinned and mashed peaches(2) early on in fermentation, most likely when i siphon from primary and then late in fermentation add a shot or two of peach schnapps.

anyone have any input for a better beer? how is my timing for additions?

If it's an experiment, there is no right or wrong way to try it.

If it were me, I'd pull a gallon or so out after 3-4 days and add whatever you want. I just recommend heating whatever it is to at lease 140 for 15 minutes. I've had experiences with adding fruit that carried its own 'mystery' yeast and not being able to duplicate it sucks. Or, it might ruin your experiment that could have been good.

Just document everything you do. That way you can tweak the process and dial it in, or duplicate it exactly if the first outcome was right.

Are the peaches spicy?

I like things like peaches in secondary, then the wort is itself a mild sanitizer and there is less heat involved.

cheezydemon3 said:
Are the peaches spicy?

I like things like peaches in secondary, then the wort is itself a mild sanitizer and there is less heat involved.

Yes, I agree with the less heat.

Also forgot to mention that when I do use heat, I add a little Pectic Enzyme in just in case. Too much heat and things can get very cloudy, quickly.

im hoping the peach schnapps will add that bit of spice but i am going to be adding that maybe a day or two before bottling so i dont throw off any natural processes. 2 shots for the gallon.

Back