Over pitch a small batch with Wyeast saison 3724?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
I read that this yeast needs a big starter and could also use two packs.

I am a bit concern / confuse because a lot of people use to say it's always better to underpitch than overpitch. Also I am making a 3.5 gallon batch (which I found to be just enought!).

Should I put the whole wyeast pack in my 1 liter starter and put everything into my 3.5 gallon wort without worrying of a thin body beer?

Did you use a calculator like yeastcalc.com or mrmalty.com? The key with this yeast is ferm temp. Needs to be in the 85-95 range to finish. I have a saison going right now that I pitched on 3/9, it's still finishing up and is down around 1.012 now. Lots of threads here on 3724. As far as pitching rates I think under is worse than over but especially with this yeast as its finicky and slow, I would err on the over pitching if I had to pick one.

If your OG was 1.060 and your yeast was brand new (100% viability) a one liter starter would be perfect. Used yeastcalc.com to get this. With this yeast I also noticed it did not flocculate well at all, stayed cloudy even two days later in the fridge after a 24 hour ferm period. I decanted some but ended up pitching half my starter wort to not lose too much yeast.

My yeast is from Nov 2012. My planner OG is about 1.065. I am not so sure about the way to use the yeastcalc...

I was planning 1 liter starter / 1 cup DME with one 3724 pack. What do you think ?

I finally did 1.5 liters / 2.5 cup of DME. Waiting for the thing to bubble right now.

Back