Wit recipe - Wheat help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffy5018

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, this is one of the first beers I've created (and by created, I've used a lot of input from other recipes on here). It's a Belgian wit, and I think I'm happy with how it'll come out.
Ingredients:

Best Malz Pilsen Malt 5.5lbs
Flaked Wheat (pulverized to a fine powder) 4lbs
German Vienna Malt 1 lb.
Flaked Oats - 1 lb.
Czech Saaz Hop Pellets 1 oz. @60min
Citra Hop Pellets 1 oz. @10min
Sweet Orange Peel .20 oz. @10min
Bitter Orange Peel .75 oz. @10min
Coriander Seed .75 oz. @10min

Mash at 152 for 1hr

Ferment with WLP400, belgian wit ale, @70F

SHould hit around 1.050 OG, 15 IBU.

My question is, with that much wheat, will I have enough DP to convert it? Does it matter a lot with a wit? Should I throw .5lb of 6-row in there?

I'm keeping the flaked wheat, I don't want to replace with wheat malt. Also, it'll be BIAB, so I don't need to worry about stuck sparges.

Thanks for any input!!!

Do you have the specs on the malt? I know some continental pilsner malts are quite a bit lower in DP than domestic (the castle pilsen that I tend to use for example is 76 Lintner). You need 35 L minimum for the mash to convert. The vienna will convert itself so you're essentially needing your base malt to account for an equal amount of flaked grains, or 70L bare minimum. Might be slower conversion too so maybe give it plenty of time.

According to Best Malz website, its a 250WK DP, which, when converted using this comes out to 76L.

Should be good. Should I maybe mash for 75-90 min just to be safe?

I think that would be a good idea. I am only speaking from experience, I've done similar recipes and had not problem with conversion. 75 minutes would be good with this recipe.

Sounds good. What's another 15 min on an already 4.5hr brew day??? Plus I just bought a new keg full of a local craft brewery; can't think of a better way to drain some of it!!

Back