Beer fermentation and fruits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernltz

Reaction score
Alright, here I go again with the questions. Please be patient with me.
I am brewing a strawberry blonde and would like to know opinions about these questions I have.

Should I rack to a secondary fermentation vessel?

Should I add new yeast to which ever vessel I use (secondary or leave in primary)?

When to add in the strawberry flavor? (I plan to use a strawberry puree and rack either onto it or just add it to the current vessel)

Will the use of strawberry puree’s sugars throw the alcohol percentage up through the roof?

How long do you think I should leave the beer in the strawberries?

Should I use a tertiary fermentation?

Now the back story of the brew so you have some idea how I got to this ridicules point.

To begin, I thought that with the spring/summer season right around the corner I would brew a nice, drinkable strawberry blonde. I contacted my local brew supplier and decided to go with a nice golden LME (6 lbs) and add to that 2 lbs #15 crystal and 1 lb flaked oats. I boiled the grains for 30min in 2 gal of water and added the LME slowly. Then with another gal of water I had brought to a boil I poured over the grains then removed them. The whole boil then went on for another 60 min with 2 hops additions at 30min and at 50 min. I cooled the brew to 80 degrees, racked to a 5 gal carboy and topped the liquid to 5 gallons. I added the yeast and aerated the mix for 2 minutes. I ran a blow-off tube along with my “S” trap. At 4 days in, and several blow-off’s later, I removed the blow-off tube and left just the “S” trap. So, to this point, it seems a lot like almost any other LME brew.

Now, as of today, I have fermented this batch for 14 days. I thought that this weekend I should rack it to a secondary vessel with the strawberry puree to give it the light strawberry flavoring. I plan to leave it there for a week and rack it away from the puree and into a tertiary vessel for another week to clear before I bottle. This will be 4 weeks of fermentation/clearing though and that has me concerned for spoilage. I have read about every strawberry blonde recipe in these forums and they unfortunately all have different choices for these next steps. So, after all that, here are the questions again.

Should I rack to a secondary fermentation vessel or just leave it alone?

Should I add new yeast to which ever vessel I use because the fermentation has slowed now (secondary or leave in primary)?

When and how should I add in the strawberry flavor? (I plan to use a strawberry puree and rack either onto it or just add it to the current vessel and swirl)

Will the use of strawberry puree’s sugars throw the alcohol percentage up through the roof? If so, what can be done? I don't want to make a vile liquid.

How long do you think I should leave the beer in the strawberries?

Should I use a tertiary fermentation or just bottle it up after three weeks?

Thank you all for your generous input. My last brew was basically perfect because of the input I received and used to salvage what could have been disastrous. I sincerely appreciate all of your guidance.

Kurt

lets see what some of the other more experienced folks here have to say - just to give you an idea of what I did from my experience (when I did make 2 fruit brews last summer). I added the fruit to the secondary. One was tarty cherrys that were cleaned well then frozen and clean pitted and pureed before adding to the secondary. The other was frozen berries that were blended and added to the secondary. I really didnt do anything extra special other than throw it in the secondary and leave it in there for a week or so. The residual yeast activated from the sugars in the fruit but seemed to settle after a few days. From what I have gathered from folks on here you do get a little extra alc % from the fruit but really isnt that much and will get more from the priming sugar. I never added any other yeast and they all turned out fine. Experimenting with fruits is fun and there is some trial and error. I admit that I was worried my first time around and posted a few questions on this forum and it was quite simple and most of my worries were unwarranted. Main thing is to always maintain proper sanitation. I've never had a bad beer.

Thank you bpnc, for your thoughts. I guess I might be as you referred to "overthinking the issue." I went to pick up my fruit and they were all out of what I wanted so it will wait another 5-6 days before I try my experiment anyway.

Thanks again, and I will keep looking back here from time to time to see if anyone chimes in.

Kurt

I tried this awhile back and the beer tuned out very tart and dry. I just tried it again last week and added the stawberries after cold crashing, directly to the keg so that the yeast would be dorment and not ferment the sugars from the berries. My question is how long to leave them in the beer? Will they go rotton if I just leave them in there?

Back