Wiring of a 2 pole switch in an electric HLT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on an electric setup, slowly. my goal is to bring parts online individualy so i can continue to brew while slowly acquiring parts. I have the subpanel with the gfci wired, it plugs into the dryer outlet. i connected my hlt with a 5500 watt element directly to my gfci breaker . the 2 pole switch is 220v, 30 amp. everything was fine until i flicked the 2 pole switch on and it tripped the 30amp breaker in the main panel box. i looked at the wiring diagram of the switch and now i am confused. I am wondering if i wired the switch incorrectly. I wired black to black screws and white(other HOT) to the brass screws. but if you look at the wireing diagram in the pictue that is incorrect.
100_19601.JPG

I was wondering if anyone had a pic of how they wired their switch or has an idea of what i missed

from the subpanel to the switch i used 10/2 wire, black wire is 1st hot, second used the white wire in the 10 2 as the second hot(red wire) in the boxes i put red electrical tape on the white to denote it being used as a hot.

According to your manual, you two hots should go to the black screws at the top of your pic. The load should wires go to the other (brass?) screws. I think at this point your breaker is telling you to just follow the manual.

I believe I used the same switch as you, and I didn't have any problem. If you have a multimeter, you might consider ohming it out before you hook it up.

Yes, you wired it incorrectly. Your two hots (the black and white from the panel) go to the black screws, and the two loads (the black and white to the element) go to the brass. You created a dead short the way you had it. Do as passpawn said and ohm out your switch before you wire it to be sure.

Yeah i see that, i have brain damage, looks like i know what i am doing tonight. Round 2.
I will post results tonight.
Thanks for the help, this forum is awsome.

Back