Winter Hop Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC2

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was trying to find some info on this but had no luck. I want to grow a couple hop plants indoors this winter (NJ) as an art project. It would be part of my MFA thesis that basically is a small brewery start to finish. I am not really worried about yield, just exhibiting the plant as part of a whole.

So my problem is finding some rhizomes this time of year. Im not even sure if this is possible this late in the season. Can they be tricked into growing early given the right light and temps? Ive grown some vegetables indoors with great results, but no hop experience. Any advice or where I can manage a few this time of year?

Sorry if this sounds really ignorant, just an idea.

Thanks
Travis

BC2,
Buy Plants - they are available year around. Try greatlakeshops.com or search the net. Hops initiate flowering under long day accumulation, so producing some cones indoors is possible under 14+ hours light of sufficient strength. I also have some hops still on the vine that you could display dried, if that helps.

Back