Winter Chill and my Outside Kegerator w/ Heat Cable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theck

Reaction score
My garage is unattached and insulated, somewhat, walls (for code) not the roof... it stays ok when it's cold out, 34-45ish in the fridge most times and when it gets colder I turn on the light, 40 watt bulb, and it usually goes to almost 50 in there. Problem is that it burns out, already on my 3rd and could only find a 15 watt so hoping that works ok. Anyhow, I was looking at those reptile lights, figured they might last longer as they are mostly on all the time, but might be too hot. Just ordered a STC-1000 but going to be a while before it comes... wondering if a reptile heat cable would be a good solution in the mean time? Would it keep it just warm enough? We are expecting -4F this afternoon so have to think of something quick. Anyone use this:
http://www.petco.com/product/109980/Zoo-Med-Repti-Heat-Cable.aspx

Might just pull the kegs too and wait for spring.

Think I found the perfect thing:
http://www.frostking.com/automatic-electric-heat-cable-kits/

"Keep your pipes from freezing in the winter. With a built-in thermostat, the Frost King Electric Heat Cable Kit automatically keep your water pipes from freezing, works at temperatures down to 38 degrees below zero."

Reading reviews and the description this will kick on when the temp goes below 38 degrees then off when it's above. Perfect, going to grab one tonight...

I bought that same item and it didn't work for me. You see that round thing in the middle? It's the thermostat and it is a pain in the @ss. It needs to be making firm contact with cold metal in order to get the tape to warm up. Simply being in a cold area will not cause it to work. I messed with it for a while then returned the son of a *****.

I have my fridge in the garage and it's usually fine until it gets into the negatives, then the taps freeze up. I haven't found the perfect solution yet. But my wife bought me a little space heater which I aim at the taps. It gets the side of the fridge warm enough to get the beer flowing again. But I shut it off when it's not extremely cold.

You see, you can put a fancy thermostat on your fridge and tell it to not go below any old number. But if it is cold enough in your garage, you fridge will eventually get below freezing inside and out regardless what the thermostat says or even if you unplug it.

Now if you can find something like a reptile cord or ferment belt that you could use a thermostat with, that would be a possible solution. Problem is many of those small heater belts, pads, etc usually have temps in the upper 60's as their lowest setting.

Please let me know what you create and if it works. I'm looking too, and I'll be BS if I'm going to shut down my kegs for the winter. That's the time when I need to drink most!

I bought that same item and it didn't work for me. You see that round thing in the middle? It's the thermostat and it is a pain in the @ss. It needs to be making firm contact with cold metal in order to get the tape to warm up. Simply being in a cold area will not cause it to work. I messed with it for a while then returned the son of a *****.

I have my fridge in the garage and it's usually fine until it gets into the negatives, then the taps freeze up. I haven't found the perfect solution yet. But my wife bought me a little space heater which I aim at the taps. It gets the side of the fridge warm enough to get the beer flowing again. But I shut it off when it's not extremely cold.

Dang... did you connect it to one of the kegs? Curious if a keg or the shank would kick it on? Light bulb I have is doing well but it's above zero right now, tomorrow wind chill is sup'd to drop -15f. Just keep checking I guess and pull stuff when it starts to freeze.

You see, you can put a fancy thermostat on your fridge and tell it to not go below any old number. But if it is cold enough in your garage, you fridge will eventually get below freezing inside and out regardless what the thermostat says or even if you unplug it.

Now if you can find something like a reptile cord or ferment belt that you could use a thermostat with, that would be a possible solution. Problem is many of those small heater belts, pads, etc usually have temps in the upper 60's as their lowest setting.

Please let me know what you create and if it works. I'm looking too, and I'll be BS if I'm going to shut down my kegs for the winter. That's the time when I need to drink most!
I found the 60 watt to work really well but when it's minus 14 wind chill for a couple days I have it on 24 hours a day. Wastes energy and drives me nuts. I think I might end up building a keezer and putting it into the basement. I really like the idea of having an outside bar but it's kinda a pain to have to monitor it so much for 4 months.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Just went out to attempt a growler fill. Inside is 42, taps are frozen solid. Oh well bud tonight

Dang... did you connect it to one of the kegs? Curious if a keg or the shank would kick it on? Light bulb I have is doing well but it's above zero right now, tomorrow wind chill is sup'd to drop -15f. Just keep checking I guess and pull stuff when it starts to freeze.

You're probably aware, but windchill has no impact on anything not living. The wind chill is derived from how cold it feels on the skin as it draws moisture.

What you're worried about is the actual temp. Which at nearly zero is still going to cause problems with your taps :)

Ya... Cold is cold ha.. just went out to try again nothing. I disconnect the connects and going to have to wait a few days. The fridge is at 48 now... Can't wait to get that stc I think it will help a lot to maintain a nice 38ish.

I recommend these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F9CV7K/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Mine's been running for almost 3-years. I use it with an STC1000. 100W is probably overkill, but I'd rather it be able to keep up with really cold conditions when needed. I had a Belgian Quad fermenting at 80F when it was about 10F in my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back