Wine noob here. What to ferment in? Starter for yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1st kit is coming in the mail and I was just looking at the instructions and it says I need a 7.9g fermentor. I've got a bunch of 6.5G fermentors, but I guess that's not going to work. What do most people use? Bucket?

Also, do you winemakers make yeast starters? Rehydrate?

The instructions say to sanitize with kmeta, but I can just use starsan, right?

What's the trick to scoring 30 wine bottles? My plan at the moment is to beg at a local small Italian restaurant.

Most kits make 6 gallons so a 6.5 bucket is cutting it pretty close. I use buckets, the same ones I brew beer in....and use starsan. I do rehydrate all my dry yeasts, beer or wine.

Bottles can be a bottle neck! But, you have months to collect them, buy, beg, or steal them...kidding. Last week end I took a load of stuff in to the recycle center.....it was a wine and beer bottle gold mine! Had a whole list of chores and errands to run or I would have stocked up....the guy working there told me to get all I wanted, that's what they are for, to be recycled. I will be back there! You might check your local recycle center.

With 24,000 posts under your belt, I bet you can muddle your way through the process! Wine gets into the bucket much easier and faster that beer. Beer gets in the bottle much faster than wine. The best wine ingredient in my limited experience is time....more time...don't rush it.

Most kits make 6 gallons so a 6.5 bucket is cutting it pretty close. I use buckets, the same ones I brew beer in....and use starsan. I do rehydrate all my dry yeasts, beer or wine.

Bottles can be a bottle neck! But, you have months to collect them, buy, beg, or steal them...kidding. Last week end I took a load of stuff in to the recycle center.....it was a wine and beer bottle gold mine! Had a whole list of chores and errands to run or I would have stocked up....the guy working there told me to get all I wanted, that's what they are for, to be recycled. I will be back there! You might check your local recycle center.

With 24,000 posts under your belt, I bet you can muddle your way through the process! Wine gets into the bucket much easier and faster that beer. Beer gets in the bottle much faster than wine. The best wine ingredient in my limited experience is time....more time...don't rush it.

You may be able to use a 6.5 gallon carboy- I never have, but you don't get much krausen with wine. The thing is, many kits have "things" to add during primary- say, grape skin packs in a hops bag, or oak chips, and buckets make it much easier to deal with.

You need a 6 gallon carboy for secondary. I use star-san all the time, for all of my gear, and it works great. You may want to buy some k-meta (or campden tablets), since the kit will recommend you add some at bottling if you want to age the wine but it doesn't come in the kit.

I got most of my wine bottles from dumpster diving, er, visiting a recycling center. :D You need 30, but it shouldn't be hard to get 30 before bottling day.

I never rehydrate my wine yeast, or make a starter. Grape juice is the perfect food for wine yeast, and you don't even need yeast nutrients for wine kits.

A large spoon, plastic or stainless, is needed for a wine kit. All the kits I've seen have you add a gallon of hot water to the primary, and stir in bentonite well, and then add the grape concentrate, juice, skins, etc, and then top up with cool water. I do that right in my kitchen sink.

One silly tip (put this in the "I wish someone would have mentioned that to ME" category):
- those lids on the grape concentrate are almost impossible to remove without either a. breaking the cap, b, splashing the concentrate everywhere (and it stains) or c. both.

I keep the bag in the box (so you don't accidentally squeeze it, trust me on this!!!!!), and then use one hand to hold the cap and a big wrench in the other to pull it off. If the bag stays in the box for support (it's very squishy), you're less likely to spill a quarter of it before you try to pour it in the fermeter.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't even consider a recycling center for the bottles. Sweet idea.

I have 6.5g carboys. They are the Big Mouth Bubblers, so getting skins and stuff in there shouldn't be a problem, but the volume might be. I guess I'll look into a bucket. Funny, I have never used a bucket to ferment in.

Thanks for the tips. I didn't even consider a recycling center for the bottles. Sweet idea.

I have 6.5g carboys. They are the Big Mouth Bubblers, so getting skins and stuff in there shouldn't be a problem, but the volume might be. I guess I'll look into a bucket. Funny, I have never used a bucket to ferment in.

No, the volume should fit just fine. The grape skin packs may float, but since you stir daily in primary, you can just stir them back down. If you can easily get stuff in and out, and have a long handled spoon that reaches the bottom, you shouldn't have any issues with that size carboy.

The 6 gallon carboy is needed for secondary. Also, if you degas in the carboy (the instructions call for that), you may want to use one of those degassing wands. You can do it by hand, but the degassing wand with your drill is very labor saving!

Everybody whines about how hard it is to get the caps off the bags....l just use a good fashioned butter knife...slip it at the bottom and give it a little twist, pops right off.

I wish someone had told ME about doing it in the kitchen sink! Duh. Now days I use a small tarp on the kitchen floor.....beats scrubbing tile grout lines.

My wife made her first batch of wine 6 months ago. She used one of my 6.5 gal carboys I use for homebrew. Worked fine. It does get a little close to the top when degassing using a drill, but just reverse directions on your drill and it will go back down. It did not ferment as aggressively as some of my brews did so it was not an issue. We used starsan for sanitizing. I second the suggestion on the degassing wand though, they are cheap. As far as bottles went we just asked people to save them for us. within a month we had 150 bottles! Careful what you ask for!:)

My wife made her first batch of wine 6 months ago. She used one of my 6.5 gal carboys I use for homebrew. Worked fine. It does get a little close to the top when degassing using a drill, but just reverse directions on your drill and it will go back down. It did not ferment as aggressively as some of my brews did so it was not an issue. We used starsan for sanitizing. I second the suggestion on the degassing wand though, they are cheap. As far as bottles went we just asked people to save them for us. within a month we had 150 bottles! Careful what you ask for!:)

Did your wife's kit have grape skins? I just got my kit in my house and there's a bag of grape skins that are supposed to go in there too. I really want to use one of my big mouth bubblers, but it looks like it will be a tight fit.

How thick is the krausen on a batch of wine?

No, her's only had juice and oak powder. However, she did use the big mouth bubbler that came with the Master Vitner kit from Midwest Supplies and a glass carboy for a secondary so you should be ok. Her wine she transferred to a secondary. I dont know if skins float or sink, but one would think when you syphon your wine to a bottling bucket or a secondary it should leave them behind anyway. I dont want you to get in any trouble here, but I guess I would go for it whichever route you chose. If nothing else fill up your BMB with water to see if it will fit. We didnt have a very aggressive fermentation so everything worked fine. She is making another wine this coming weekend and We will use the Big Mouth. Good Luck!:D

Oh yea, just remembered, we didnt do a yeast starter for it like I do for brews. We just pitched dry yeast directly in and sealed it up. Maybe only got about an inch of krausen on it. Even without rehydrating or a starter we hit our final gravity on the nutz. Think we held 68-70 degrees for the first week. They recommended 70-75 if I remember right.

No, her's only had juice and oak powder. However, she did use the big mouth bubbler that came with the Master Vitner kit from Midwest Supplies and a glass carboy for a secondary so you should be ok. Her wine she transferred to a secondary. I dont know if skins float or sink, but one would think when you syphon your wine to a bottling bucket or a secondary it should leave them behind anyway. I dont want you to get in any trouble here, but I guess I would go for it whichever route you chose. If nothing else fill up your BMB with water to see if it will fit. We didnt have a very aggressive fermentation so everything worked fine. She is making another wine this coming weekend and We will use the Big Mouth. Good Luck!:D

Alright, I'm gonna do it tomorrow. I'll let you know! And thanks.

Err... anyone ever use a blowoff tube with wine fermentation :( Looks kinda full. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

_mg_1381-67045.jpg

I don't know! I think it should be ok, if the grape skins don't float and clog the airlock. But those are "ifs" that you may or may not like living with. I'd consider loosening the lid for sure, just in case, and putting it in a bin so that any floor doesn't get stained if it does decide to be "unwinelike".

It'll be fine. Trust the wine. RDWAHAHB

Unless its like 80 degrees in your house, then grab an umbrella.

Haha. Not far from it. Low 80's here today, but I've got AC - I keep the house at around 78. There must been some glitch with the local weather people today, look what my phone showed me. Imagine if it wasn't partly cloudy!

117.PNG

Yeesh. I may have to change my username If things dont work out. I want you to know however, I have learned a valuable lesson here and I will no longer offer advise in the wine making field. And you should never again listen to some dude who assisted his wife make wine ONE time. On a more serious note, I am going to drink several English Brown Ales tonight to help calm my nervousness for your situation. Good Luck.

Make sure that you stir it well before racking it to a bigger fermenter to ensure that you don't leave any yeast that has dropped out of suspension behind.

10 or 20 gallon brute trash gallons are likely cheaper than whatever you can find at the lhbs.

Also I let my wine age in a carboy for months. No need for manual degassing. You would never introduce that much oxygen in a beer on purpose would you?

I bought a 7.9g bucket/lid yesterday ($25) and transferred. Much better!

Fermentation is raging so I think there was no negative affect due to all of that. We'll just have to wait and see if it grows up to be a doctor or criminally insane.

After the initial fermentation ( ~ 8 or 9 days) I transferred to another fermentor. Thus the oak chips and grape skins are gone, and now it's just wine. Apparently this is part of the clearing process (aka secondary in beermaking). I left it in that secondary until today.

Today I transferred again to another fermentor, this time adding sorbate, metabisuphite, and something called chitoclear, which is some sort of a fining agent. Also added "hungarian" oak cubes, which were roasted/burned. They smelled smokey and tasty. I used a wine whip to beat the gas out the the wine for about 15 minutes. I don't think any CO2 survived that.

QUESTION: the kit instructions stated that this kit includes low levels of sulphite, and if I want to age longer than 6 months I should add more metabisuphite (to prevent oxidation). I'm sure I'll have this wine bottled before 6 months, but I certainly won't have drunk all bottles by then. So, is this additional sulphite only necessary for me?

If you plan on keeping some of this batch for longer than a year, I would put the extra k-meta in. It acts as an anti-oxidant and a anti-microbial.

One other thing, don't bottle too quickly, let the wine sit on those wonderful Hungarian oak for 3 or more months. They do give up their flavor in about a week, but the more subtle tastes of the tannins in the wood take time to develop. The subtle tastes will just get better the longer it is in the bottle.

Its hard not to drink your first batch right away, and you may think 30 bottles is a lot, but it will go very quickly. Do yourself a favor and hide 8 or 10 bottles for later.

Racking (again!). 0.993. I took a sample (obviously). Has NOT been awesome before - kind of cloying and sweet.

I smelled the burned oak cubes right away and worried. But man, I'm drinking the sample now and it's a great wine already! Holy cow! I put the sample in a stemmed glass and it's got legs, all the way up to its azz. Oily glaze on the glass when I swirl. I'm happy! It's a wonderful claret red, completely clear as far as I can tell.

There are heady vanilla and smokey wood aromas adding very strong layers of complexity on this wine, which of course was the reason for the various additions. They might be too much in this young wine. Aging will tame it and I'm sure it will continue to get even better. Woot!

Next post will contain pictures! That will be bottling time in a week or 3.

Goddam it. I quit bottling beer a long time ago. Now I realize I don't have a bottling wand, a bottling bucket, or anything.

Tomorrow (or soon) I'm gonna buy a bottling wand and siphon this wine into bottles. Gawd I feel like a super noob (I guess I am).

On a positive note, I have a floor corker and it's a blast to use. Tested plenty :)

You're inspiring me to go ahead and do this. My LHBS has 20% off closeout on wine kits and you make it sound so much fun. What's another 6 gallons of hooch in the basement?

FYI, I never did make a bottling bucket (i.e., bucket with spigot at bottom). I went to my LHBS to get a spigot for the giant bucket that I used for primary fermentation of this wine, but he said that it's easy to bottle straight from the autosiphon.

So I got a bottling wand and connected it to the end of the auto-siphon tubing, and it was easy.

Corking was a blast. So easy.

BTW, I used #9 corks. They are a little thicker than #8 corks, and so they go in a lot tighter. With a floor corker, #9's are no problem. I imagine a hand corker gizmo might have some difficulty. Don't use one of those.

I had planned on using artificial corks, but in the end I went with the cheapest corks I could find and they seemed perfectly fine.

Back